Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexican onzas update: how it started/how it's going. Grades and coins received OTS

You might recall way back on July 28th I posted a raw partial roll of '79 & '80 Mexican Onzas (KM#49b) on the North/South/Central American Thursday thread.
I'd snagged these at a local shop because I'm a Mexican silver bullion addict, and because I'd had a partial roll for several years that I was keen to top off.

This dealer is NOT a fan of onzas--the sterling silver 92.5% purity doesn't fit well with the .999 their customers expect. So they wholesaled them to me at melt :o

But when I got them home, I realized that the individual flips they'd likely been stored in for 30 years, damaged though they were, seemed to have done a really nice job protecting the coins from friction and wear they might have otherwise gotten had they been stored in bags or even tubes. And those cracks and splits in the flips had allowed for some pretty toning on several coins:

Since I got them so cheap, I figured I'd push my luck and without any delay, dipping, rinsing, or anything, I boxed them up on the spot and sent the lot to NGC Economy (stupid me, I should have sent them Modern). I mentioned in the original post I was hoping I'd get "a few 64s or even a 65".

And then waited. And waited. And waited. Grades posted early last week TWO MONTHS after they were logged in ATS (which was a good two weeks after they shipped).

And to my delight and surprise, from that dirty dozen...

MS66 - 3
MS65 - 2
MS64 - 3
MS63 - 3

Of course there were a couple of head scratchers. Look what they did to my boy. Every bit as cartwheel lustrous and frosty as the rest of them:

And as we do, I grabbed another coin off my desk I'd wanted to have slabbed for awhile and never got around to it. My pretty purple Bu:

But overall I guess I can't complain. Other than the fact that I still have that partial roll to finish :D

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments