Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Did not know this about the double print 52 Mantle

RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
edited October 18, 2022 12:30PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Another company I use now, but worthy of posting here. Did not ever know the distinction between the 2 prints on the sheet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_McshAcV50

Who has one and which print is it ? :)

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why the Mathews is so much rarer than the Mantle - and a true rookie to boot! Love the differences between the two versions on the Mantle. Really cool that the way they were made resulted in the differences.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I did not know. Very interesting. Thanks

• jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Very cool! Didn't know this!

-- Ryan Bell
  • agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2022 10:56AM

My two versions. Easiest way for me to distinguish on the back is the stiches on the ball run left on one and right on the other. On the front the e in the auto is full or truncated. The wavy or straight star line is also a good indicator. PSA has not recognized it as a variation but the last SCD Standard Catalog did.

Should DP differences be viewed as variations ? The differences were not intentional, but do result from intentional decision in regard to printing process itself. There are similar differences on the other DPs, Robinson and Thompson, which were also listed as variations in the last SCD Catalog

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I have heard this before, but it reminds me of the Bird/Magic rookie card. Most people think the black line under Magic on some of those cards is a print defect... it's not, it's a poor sheet design that only affects one of the two double-printed Bird/Magics on the sheet. If that particular card was cut with 50/50 centering everytime... that black line would be on HALF of all the Bird/Magic RCs.

• agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

This is a little different. The differences exist no matter how the cards are cut. They exist in roughly 50/50 proportion and occur because the two version of the 3 DP cards had several minor differences on the uncut sheet. Such DP differences, often cropping differences, can be found in many Topps sets. There are multiples in the 56 and 63 sets. But the 52s are more than cropping or cutting issues with the images

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised some don't know about the two variations; this has been common knowledge forever it feels like.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    This is why the Mathews is so much rarer than the Mantle - and a true rookie to boot! Love the differences between the two versions on the Mantle. Really cool that the way they were made resulted in the differences.

The demand for the Mathews is also "rarer."

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

this was posted somewhere else, but it appears this card used to live (for a short time) in a PSA 7.5 holder

https://www.psacard.com/cert/46751783

myslabs.to/smzcards