Home Sports Talk
Options

The fire Kliff Kingsbury train

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

This train is gaining some major steam, all aboard!

The 'Fire Kliff Kingsbury Train' Continues to Gain Steam

Arizona Cardinals fans are fed up with Kliff Kingsbury at the helm of their team.

In the NFL, you are what your record shows, and the Arizona Cardinals are 2-4.

The loss to the Seattle Seahawks is still relatively fresh, so let's keep a few things straight.

The season is not over. We're only 1/3 of the way through the schedule, and Arizona is still well within reach of every team's goal: Win their division, first and foremost. Plenty of time exists for change to occur and to right the ship.

The Cardinals also endured a tough schedule out of the gate, and missing your top weapon in DeAndre Hopkins is a cherry on top of what was expected to be a sh-- sundae.

However, Arizona fans are used to eating that delicacy this season, and that's the problem.

The Cardinals are 2-4, but seemingly occur the same mistakes, slow starts and setbacks on a weekly basis. What's the point of hope if you're watching the same team beat itself week after week?

The helm of their problems, whether it be clock management or overall inability to score points, starts with the man running the show in Kliff Kingsbury.

No, Kingsbury doesn't throw interceptions. He doesn't miss blocks- or kicks. He doesn't run wrong routes, either.

However, it's ultimately his ship that's sinking, and that's precisely the way he wanted it.

Acting as a head coach and offensive coordinator is a large responsibility. Kingsbury has been hailed as an offensive mastermind and quarterback whisperer, and it was either his way or the highway when it comes to Arizona's success.

Thus far, the Cardinals have been stranded on the side of the road.

That's the way it goes: Kingsbury would get all the credit for Arizona's offensive firepower doing what it does best, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to him or anybody else when fans are calling for his head after a dismal start.

"Fire Kliff" was trending in the state of Arizona on Sunday night.

Have the players been out-played? Sure, but it's also Kingsbury's job to get them ready and prepare his squad.

Has Kingsbury been out-coached thus far? Nearly every single week. We're a miracle comeback from Arizona being 1-5.

However you would like to boil it down, the chess pieces are ultimately controlled by Kingsbury. He boasts in victory and hangs his head in defeat.

Is Thursday's game against the New Orleans Saints a must-win for Kingsbury? The jury is still out on that, but it's safe to say nobody is pleased with the performance he's put in thus far.

The "Fire Kliff Kingsbury" Train continues to gain steam. I'm all for avoiding overreactions, but the rails coming off the tracks so early in the season suggest this is warranted.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are missing Hopkins big time.

The NFL is a passing league and Murray without Hopkins is not really able to trade points with teams

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm a Murray fan, but impartiality takes precedence because that's how i roll. that said...

Kingsbury is a terrible head coach. i've said this before. Arizona's offense is horrible to watch and it's due in large part to him having a dangerous obsession with sideways passing. dinking and dunking all the way down the field until it's time to make a play in the red zone to put points on the scoreboard, then the offense slams into a wall with a "wtf do we do now" look to it. it's boring football and the team is on the cusp of a total collapse because of it. schematically i don't think he possesses a lick of ingenuity and in my opinion he has single-handedly set Kyler -- who hasn't played well this season -- back.

in the previous two weeks the Seahawks' D gave up 45 and 39 against the Lions and Saints, respectively. yesterday the Cardinals didn't score a single offensive touchdown. i could very well be wrong about this, but i don't think Hopkins returning this week will make much of a difference. the offense is so discombobulated right now that the only thing that will turn the tide is removing Kingsbury of his duties.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm a Murray fan, but impartiality takes precedence because that's how i roll. that said...

Kingsbury is a terrible head coach. i've said this before. Arizona's offense is horrible to watch and it's due in large part to him having a dangerous obsession with sideways passing. dinking and dunking all the way down the field until it's time to make a play in the red zone to put points on the scoreboard, then the offense slams into a wall with a "wtf do we do now" look to it. it's boring football and the team is on the cusp of a total collapse because of it. schematically i don't think he possesses a lick of ingenuity and in my opinion he has single-handedly set Kyler -- who hasn't played well this season -- back.

in the previous two weeks the Seahawks' D gave up 45 and 39 against the Lions and Saints, respectively. yesterday the Cardinals didn't score a single offensive touchdown. i could very well be wrong about this, but i don't think Hopkins returning this week will make much of a difference. the offense is so discombobulated right now that the only thing that will turn the tide is removing Kingsbury of his duties.

My limited knowledge of the Cardinals under KIngsbury is that he intended to bring his "air raid" offense to the NFL, but he struggled with that and has been trying to adapt. Is he still running things in the "10 personnel" set a lot with 4 WRs who do do not go in motion at all?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biting my lip and holding my tongue

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@thisistheshow

it is very much a fast-paced, ball-control, west-coast system that relies on short and quick throws.....and little more. very few shots down the field. and the thing is, they have hollywood brown (who got hurt yesterday, yet another problem) and a guy named rondale moore who are speedsters and can easily stretch the field. they also have zack ertz who is still a very serviceable TE. on the downside they have a.j. green who is all but washed up, but on the upside they have hopkins coming back this thursday.

another thing that i simply have not been able to comprehend is why murray wasn't running more with the offense struggling as much as it has. it's almost as if Kingsbury told him not to, which would not have surprised me one iota. well, a bright light in yet another dismal showing was murray rushing for 100 yards by himself yesterday. i'm not expecting him to do that every game, but there is NO reason for him to rush for less than 30 yards in any game, which he has done 4 times already this season.

the cupboard is not bare by any stretch; the Cardinals have the personnel to wreak havoc on offense. but not with KK as the HC. if he does in fact decide to take the blinders off, i wouldn't expect him to see anything other than darkness. and that's why AZ fans want him out now -- they've seen enough from him

• Options

if he does in fact decide to take the blinders off, i wouldn't expect him to see anything other than darkness @galaxy27 this statement piqued my curiosity a bit, and I just a succinct deep dive into what ails the Arizona Cardinals. To sum it up, both the coach and GM need to hit the road. If it could only be one that leaves, Coach Bro is on the first plane out. Wow!! He is doing a terrible job.

• Options

Take Kyler Murray with him outta here !

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:

You sound like a Cardinals fan, and if so, do you think that is the general sentiment? If I had to guess, I would say that you could find people saying just that, but a majority of fans would want to at least see Murray work with a different coach/ coordinator.

• Options

i said earlier that the Cardinals' season is on the verge of collapse, and it's just about here. Hollywood Brown appears lost for the season with a foot injury, so who did they trade for today out of sheer desperation? Robbie Anderson :D

also -- and this is actually quite funny -- they don't have a kicker. sure, they have one on the roster, but they do everything in their power not to use him because he royally sucks. Matt Prater (their normal kicker) has been hurt, so they scrambled and signed Matt Ammendola a couple of weeks ago. mind you, this is a guy who the Chiefs drop-kicked out of Kansas City right before the Cardinals acquired him off the streets. they literally have no faith in him beyond extra-point range. yesterday they forwent field goals on 3 separate occasions and went for it instead...........going 1-for-5 on 4th down for the game. i had no clue that the cupboard of kicking talent is so bare in this world that a team would sign and keep a guy who couldn't make a successful kick if you placed the football on the crossbar.

here's an AZ "FanNation" site that decided to mix things up after yesterday's game and grade the coaching staff instead. Kingsbury is gonna get the belt when he comes home and shows this report card to momma.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/gameday/arizona-cardinals-report-card-kliff-kingsbury-week-six

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Ridethelightning said:

You sound like a Cardinals fan, and if so, do you think that is the general sentiment? If I had to guess, I would say that you could find people saying just that, but a majority of fans would want to at least see Murray work with a different coach/ coordinator.

Born AZ but not really a Cards fan. Was here before they got here so stuck with the BILLS ! Can be bandwagon though when the rare occurrence of the Cards serving a purpose exists.
    I just don't think Murray is all that good. He thinks he is, which is the issue. No tiny scampering QB will ever pan out to be one of the greatest. He can't even throw over the defensive line ! :) and that little leg running thing just gets to me. ugh. Go away Murray.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2022 11:40AM

Getting rid of Kingsbury is not going to help. Changing the head coach at this stage of the season could very well make things worse. The Cardinals have a much bigger problem than the head coach.....I attend 3 or 4 Cardinals games every year.....One in L.A. and the others in Phoenix. Try as I might, I just don't get the hype. I never have.....The Cardinal fans also think the problem is with Kingsbury..... They want him gone.....I don't get it......Maybe the Phoenix heat has gotten to their brains.....They are just sure that the Cardinals are Super Bowl material...Every year. But something, just something is holding them back......I think I know what that LITTLE(?) something is........Anyway, in deference to Galixico......My lips are sealed....😁

That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Getting rid of Kingsbury is not going to help. Changing the head coach at this stage of the season could very well make things worse. The Cardinals have a much bigger problem than the head coach.....I attend 3 or 4 Cardinals games every year.....One in L.A. and the others in Phoenix. Try as I might, I just don't get the hype. I never have.....The Cardinal fans also think the problem is with Kingsbury..... They want him gone.....I don't get it......Maybe the Phoenix heat has gotten to their brains.....They are just sure that the Cardinals are Super Bowl material...Every year. But something, just something is holding them back......I think I know what that LITTLE(?) something is........Anyway, in deference to Galixico......My lips are sealed....😁

That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It.

Go ahead, just say it, we all know what you're thinking!

• Options
    edited October 18, 2022 11:59AM

we get it, bro. you don't like Murray and you think he's the sole culprit. you're entitled to your opinion, but it's crystal clear that you don't follow the team very closely.

Kingsbury had a sub-.500 record in college. zero coaching experience in the NFL. then it's as if he found a winning powerball ticket laying on the ground -- out of nowhere the moronic AZ ownership lost their ever-loving minds and handed him the keys to the car. since then, he's compiled yet another sub-.500 record as an HC in the NFL.

the '20 and '21 Cardinals started fast because they were loaded with talent. then, they slammed into a wall. when the NFL caught up with what the team was doing and it was time to make adjustments, Kingsbury's head exploded. he didn't know where to turn because the words creativity and ingenuity are not a part of his lexicon. as a result, the Cardinals took a nosedive and created a colossal crater in the earth. just as his Texas Tech teams did the latter portion of every season. he is of the mindset that what works in the beginning will always work, thus once he gets the ball rolling in the right direction his brain is allowed to shut off. except this season he was faced with adversity right off the bat and when he turned his brain back on in an attempt to right the ship, sparks starting flying everywhere and it ultimately created a mushroom cloud.

Kyler is one of the most accurate passers in the NFL, he can go off with his feet at any time (like he did last Sunday), and he's surrounded by enough talent to tie an opposing defense up in knots. the Cardinals' offense should be nightmarish to go up against. instead, they are a complete joke. they are stuck in quicksand because the play-calling comes a guy who has no business being in the position he's in. last weekend the offense dinked and dunked all the way to a grand total of 3 points against the worst defense in the entire league. and what do ya know -- just today it came out that Kingsbury may be open to relinquishing his play-calling duties. he is very much aware that he's in over his head, and whether you choose to believe this or not, he has single-handedly stunted his quarterback's growth with his ineptitude in the past 4 years.

if i owned the Cardinals, i would give him one more chance this Thursday night with Hopkins back in the lineup. if the offense puts the entire nation to sleep by floundering once again, i'd can his ass on Friday morning and promote Vance Joseph. the irony in all of this is that the AZ defense was supposed to be a laughingstock this season. i personally thought that would be the case as well. yet they are exceeding all expectations and keeping the Cardinals in games -- only for the offense to piss it away. Joseph is the d-coord. he has done his job and then some. he deserves the keys to the car, not the guy who currently has them.

but hey, what do i know? i'm just a guy who has watched every snap of every AZ game since Murray has been in the league.
    how about perusing some tweets from other AZ fans and decide for yourself what the general consensus is?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/fire-kliff-kingsbury-media-members-fans-call-for-arizona-cardinals-to-fire-head-coach/ar-AA133Mbe#image=AA131Z44|4

• Options

@galaxy27
    I think you hit the nail on the head. What have I said about the NFL in almost my posts? Film and adjustments.
    BB as much as I hate to say it was good at taken away what you do best.
    In a game where you’ve realized the NFL is on to you, your next game is when you make your adjustments and try another approach. Then you can go back to what you do best when the opponent adjusts to your new tactics.
    It comes down to coaching

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

this article came out 3 days ago, but i just stumbled across it last night. as i was reading i thought to myself, "um, i've read all this somewhere before."

oh that's right, the points made are identical to the ones in my Oct 18 post in this very thread. glad someone else sees exactly what i do.

tonight should be very interesting, to say the least

https://raisingzona.com/2022/10/16/arizona-cardinals-kingsbury-offensive-guru/

• Options

Kyler Murray was yelling at Kliff Kingsbury last night, I think he even dropped an F-bomb. Here is the video.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Kyler Murray was yelling at Kliff Kingsbury last night, I think he even dropped an F-bomb. Here is the video.

this really pissed me off. regardless of what you think about your coach and/or something he has done, you do not act like a jackass and show him up like this. to Kingsbury's credit, he defused the situation by basically acquiescing to Murray.

• Options

Fire Kingsbury train made an unexpected stop thanks to the Red Rocket.

W.C.Fields