Home Q & A Forum
Options

1825 Large Cent Counterfeit?

This coin recently came in a lot I purchased online. Weight is correct for a large cent but the rims seem too clean. Legit or phony? Thanks for your help!

Best Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeit ;)

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2022 5:07AM Answer ✓

Woah, definitely fake... :cry:
    The first thing that stands out after the sharp edge you mentioned is the date, compare it to a known genuine example and you will notice how different the digits are, another obvious "tell" is the dentils and their placement relative to the edge of the coin... how do the other coins in the lot look?

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

Answers

• Options

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Fortunately I only bought the whole lot for $40. The other coins were some low grade 1890-1900s indian heads and some junk foreign coins. I should be able to return as the seller is reputable on eBay with over 5000 star and 100% feedback. Normally I am very conservative on eBay. If there's any doubt of authenticity I avoid, but this time I took a small risk. Good learning experience.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good you didn't have much money into it, good plan to take risks and learn things with the stuff that is priced low :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

*** Older Thread Alert!***

Late to this one but these continue to evolve and fool collectors and Dealers alike...

The OP's posted example is a known counterfeit based on a genuine 1833 N-5 obverse and reverse; I wrote a Coin Week article on these a while back.

The OP's and matching marks in red from the others in the "family"; they made a die from the '33 N-5 (I found the genuine source coin dated back to a 2007 ANACS slabbed example) and then drop in other dates to add to the family. The green circle is common to the 1833:

After my article I was made aware that the counterfeiters mixed up the reverse and started using a die based on the 1833 N-3- subtly different but attributable, and I wrote an updated Coin Week article on these!

1827 '33 N-5 obv, '33 N-3 reverse from my collection and originally misatributted:

I just posted a couple of recent (this week on the Bay) 1823's in this forum- the latest:

But wait, there's more!

My recent Bay find and add to my collection is this "1825" large cent; it is a 3rd combination, based on the 1833 N-3 obv and 1833 N-3 reverse, so the obverse does NOT match the others, or the OP's posted example:

The last one was listed by a large Dealer and purchased from another large Dealer, so these continue to make it a "jungle out there" B) . Best, Jack.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rims are the obvious flaw in the O/Ps coin but some of these others have better finished rims and are more deceptive.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.