Home U.S. Coin Forum

Incredible and unique Eisenhower and Lincoln $1.02 dollar coin!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 16, 2022 3:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The 70s really were an amazing time at the Mint! This is a precursor to the Lincoln on Sacagawea dollars!

When imagining what it was like back then, I think about error collecting coming into its own for the first time, with clubs, publications, and dedicated dealers.

This unique coin is shared in MintErrorNews by a private collector. It's nice to have a triple-date on this!

https://minterrornews.com/features-10-15-22-1972-ike-overstruck-twice-with-1972-cent-dies.html

Comments

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2022 2:00AM

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

how could that have made it past Fred? isn't it missing the edge die?

• BenVBenV Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Wow, as much as that HAS to be shenanigans, it's still spectacular!

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2022 2:29PM

Another error info filled issue Mike Byers!

https://minterrornews.com/issue65.pdf

Love the added 20th Century pattern sales info. My favorites of the 4 shown is the 1916 25c with dolphins reverse & 1942 Aluminum Cent Proof.

The $1.02 Philly Ike is Awesome. Never saw that one in print. Shenanigans were afoot at all three Mints, and I love collecting them when budget allows. There are some spectacular errors floating around. I am Very Happy they are all legal to buy, sell, & trade !!!

• ByersByers Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you like the latest issue of mint error news LindyS !

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    When the collector ( who is also a customer of mine) wanted to share this amazing Ike Dollar mint error, I was more than happy to publish the article in Mint Error News!

It's really great that collectors want to showcase their coins in Mint Error News!

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2022 4:07PM

By the positioning of the Cent dies, it was most likely saddle struck.

No classic hump. I don't think it's saddle struck.

@MWallace said:
    By the positioning of the Cent dies, it was most likely saddle struck.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting error coin, thanks for posting it.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to see the auction realized price. I think it will be 50 to 100K.

It’s not for sale.

It is valued at $100k+.

It was just an article in mint error news.

The customer wanted to share it.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    How are these allowed to be on the market when the Langbord 1933 double eagles get confiscated under a complicated but plausible story? There's no way for these shenanigans coins to have got out without theft from the mint.

Plausible deniability. Sure it could have been created by a mint employee messing around but who's to say they didn't chuck it into a bag of ikes that went out the normal way?

There's documented evidence the '33s shouldn't have gotten out.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

how are such errors allowed? no paper trail to follow unlike the 33's which had much paperwork linking them to the fact they were not suppose to be released

Pretty amazing that this is coming at at the semi-centennial of this coin.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... Obviously an intentionally made piece, but what a great find once out of the mint. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Interesting.... Obviously an intentionally made piece, but what a great find once out of the mint. Cheers, RickO

This an incredible coin. I'm amazed that Ikes that came out of the Mint during this period in time.

It’s an amazing Ike Dollar and especially surprising since it’s mint state, not proof!

edited October 17, 2022 7:18AM

I was curious what other errors were made with the 1972 Lincoln Cent die, and found overstrikes on a 1964 dime and a 1971 Lincoln Cent!

How many overstrikes are of different years?

Excellent Zoins, and sequential slab numbers which I tend to think are from same submitter. I've never seen the 1972 Silver 11c in print or on websites.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be a buyer at $1.05. Not a penny more.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@mr1874 said:
    I would be a buyer at $1.05. Not a penny more.

Would you sell to me for 100% profit?

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool coin, I heard it was found in a mint bag.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manufactured at the mint when you're not doing anything for a while and don't have Snickers.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess there was not much of a focus on Quality Control during the 70's all around!

K

ANA LM
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

there ALWAYS has to be a 'possible' story

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

there ALWAYS has to be a 'possible' story

Well, That is what I "heard" ......

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you sell to me for 100% profit?

Yes I would. My oops. I meant $105K. For $210K it could be yours if mine to sell.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally bogus coin(s), IMO.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Yes, it appears to be saddle struck.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

HMM ?

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

when I see these fantastic, likely manipulated errors and the high valuations I often find it discouraging in my limited pursuit of error coins realizing that I am a tiny fish in a large pond. hopefully one day, but likely will only be able to enjoy from a distance.

thanks for sharing.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

The customer has decided to sell this Ike Dollar struck by Cent Dies, having found a different mint error that he has always coveted. So it will be offered for sale.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Release the hounds !!!

Mint employee Heirs with zero cares are continuing to cash out and flood the error coin market in 2022.
    This one is epic cool, but no hump present, thus it is really not saddle struck, if anyone cares ? It all seems unique, right? Fun historical times at ALL the USA Mints.

We are on edge of actual pounds of grams weight coins which have never been seen before in last half century. Epic, old coinage shenanigan errors finally hitting the market for the first time.
    The golden age of acquiring many more thoughtfully conceived & unique USA Minted error coins is upon us...

Happy Shopping !

edited October 27, 2022 6:14PM

@LindyS

It is saddle struck.

There does not need to be a hump between the two strikes. There usually is a hump because the planchet is lighter, smaller and thinner. This is because most saddle struck coins are Cents, Nickels and Dimes. So the pressure from the dies buckle the planchet causing a hump.

Not the case with a saddle strike from Cent Dies on a struck Ike Dollar.

https://youtu.be/YRyUz3Tt7eU

This PCGS video is the interview of Fred Weinberg by Seth Chandler.

Fred’s recollection of his conversations in his office, with the Chief of the U.S. Mint Police, are extremely insightful and explain why the Mint doesn’t attempt to recover error coins from decades ago.

It’s 20 minutes long and is an excellent
    Iinterview of Fred Weinberg and some of his error coin adventures.

That's a good price. To me, this is quite possibly the most impressive Ike error (unless a gold one shows up), and should be worth more than the $105k Ike clover. How may coins have been double struck by a different denomination twice???

@Zoins

I agree! This Ike surpases the clover that sold for $105k and is mint state from Phili, not proof from SF.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

That's a good price. To me, this is quite possibly the most impressive Ike error (unless a gold one shows up), and should be worth more than the $105k Ike clover. How may coins have been double struck by a different denomination twice???

Yeah, but there could be boxes of stuff like this, just waiting for former mint employees, or descendants of former mint employees, to feel comfortable enough to sell them without going to jail

edited November 1, 2022 6:39AM

The heirs of a 1943 Denver Mint employee auctioned off the unique 1943D Copper Cent a few years ago.
    All coinage errors, whether intentional or not, spirited out of the Mint or not, are all legal to buy sell & trade.

Coinage exceptions, none of which are errors are:
    1974 P&D Aluminum Cents, 1964D Peace, 1933 $20

@tcollects said:

@Zoins said:

Yeah, but there could be boxes of stuff like this, just waiting for former mint employees, or descendants of former mint employees, to feel comfortable enough to sell them without going to jail

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting error. $100K+ puts it in competition with some tremendous, and historically important coins.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    The heirs of a 1943 Denver Mint employee auctioned off the unique 1943D Copper Cent a few years ago.
    All coinage errors, whether intentional or not, spirited out of the Mint or not, are all legal to buy sell & trade.

Coinage exceptions, none of which are errors are:
    1974 P&D Aluminum Cents, 1964D Peace, 1933 $20

@tcollects said:

@Zoins said:

Okay, maybe not jail, but there still might be boxes of these things lying around. It would have been so easy to make a few while you're making the one.

edited November 1, 2022 10:31PM

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Very interesting error. $100K+ puts it in competition with some tremendous, and historically important coins.

True and that price range also puts it in competition with some tremendous more modern coins too, like the Ike clover and Sac/Washington mules. It's a price segment with some very interesting coins.

edited November 4, 2022 10:30AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file