Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP Bruce Sutter

SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 14, 2022 10:01AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34795140/hall-fame-reliever-cy-young-winner-bruce-sutter-dies

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bruce-sutter-hall-of-fame-pitcher-world-series-champion-dead

I remember thinking while I was watching the HOF induction ceremony a couple months ago, that he didn't look all that well. Prayers to his family.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite players growing up, a bright spot on some mediocre Cub teams in the late 70's.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Bruce

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember looking through all the HoHos boxes to find one with Sutter when I was a kid. It was a double treat and I think my mom got them for me. so I could get the card.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    This one hits me hard. He was my first favorite player when I was 6 or 7. My parents took me to a car dealership where he was making an appearance - probably in 1979. It was a complete surprise - didn’t have anything for him to sign so they had black and white xeroxed photos there for people that didn’t bring anything. It was my first autograph. I remember drawing Cubs logos on tracing paper and then treating his autograph again and again. Was a thrill to meet him and he spent a great deal of time talking to my brother and I.

When the Cubs were trading him over the off-season between ‘80 and ‘81 I read the sports page every day in hopes they would keep him. I remember as they were about to trade him the Sun Times had a cartoon of the Cubs GM pulling Sutter by the hand with teams in like lemonade stands with all the players they were offering. I cried when they traded him and my Dad told me that Leon Durham was a good player coming back.

It is really sad to se of his passing. Most of the time I have fond memories of watching guys play- but because he is a huge part of why I love baseball and the Cubs. I am really sad today. RIP Bruce Sutter and know that you gave a young fan some great memories.

hey brad31,
    Very touching story...

• Options

• Options
    yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I liked Bruce Sutter as a Cub, but after that, I only liked the way he pitched to Ryne Sandberg. He died too young. RIP Bruce Sutter.

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

My memories of his time with the Cubs, was the knowledge that he could lock it down from the seventh inning to the finish. I can't imagine the opposing team feeling very good about their chances when he came in. He deflated a lot of egos. He wasn't just a one inning guy. Wicked stuff. Fun to watch, he provided most of the highlights for the Cubs during his tenure. Hated to see him go. Should've kept him at all costs.

Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Bruce. Too soon…

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2022 7:38PM

This thread is WAAAAAY to Cubs heavy.

Here is some Cardinals flavor. He is in the HOF as a Cardinal for Pete's sake (whoever Pete is).

He will be greatly missed, especially on Opening Day in St Louis when all of the red jacket hall of famers are introduced.

Cardinals_Autographs_765

Cardinals_Autographs_466

Cardinals_Autographs_661

Cardinals_Autographs_766

Cardinals_Autographs_768

Cardinals_Autographs_770

Cardinals_Autographs_539

Cardinals_Autographs_437

Cardinals_Autographs_486

Cardinals_Autographs_771

Cardinals_Autographs_772

Shane

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:

Here is some Cardinals flavor. He is in the HOF as a Cardinal for Pete's sake (whoever Pete is).

He will be greatly missed, especially on Opening Day in St Louis when all of the red jacket hall of famers are introduced.

As this is a thread about Cardinal Hall of Fame pitchers, obviously "Pete" is Grover Cleveland Alexander.

• Options

@daltex said:

@frankhardy said:

As this is a thread about Cardinal Hall of Fame pitchers, obviously "Pete" is Grover Cleveland Alexander.

I will remember that every time I say or hear that now.... Pete is Grover "Pete" Cleveland Alexander!

Shane

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought it was a thread about Cubs Cy Young Award winners!

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Thought it was a thread about Cubs Cy Young Award winners!

We certainly know that it wasn't a thread about the most World Series Champions the last 100+ years!

:#

Shane