Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Yesterday and earlier in the week, we got to see the end of two fabulous careers of

two very respected and liked players, HOFers. Congrats to both Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera and thanks for the memories!!

Buy as many as you can.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think that cabrera is playing again next year.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats to Albert. one of the greatest hitters of the 21st century

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

cabrera could barely play this year. he had 5 hr and scored 25 runs. the tigers don't want him. they will pay him off like bonilla got paid.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

When the topic said "the end of two fabulous careers," I thought it meant Pujois and Yadier Molina. Think Molina is a HOFer?

Nine Gold Gloves, 2000+ hits, .277 B.A. Not bad for one of the best defensive catchers of all-time.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2022 4:58PM

Whether he should or not, is a legit question, but Molina WILL get into the Hall. It may take 2-3 years depending on the ballot.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Molina, you are correct. I should have included him. Definite HOFer. Maybe not in the same light as Pujols and Cabrera, but he will be get in.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    When the topic said "the end of two fabulous careers," I thought it meant Pujois and Yadier Molina. Think Molina is a HOFer?

Nine Gold Gloves, 2000+ hits, .277 B.A. Not bad for one of the best defensive catchers of all-time.

He also has 2 World Series rings.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:

I find it HILARIOUS when people ask if Molina is a HOF'er...are people crazy? He is one of the best catchers all time? Tell me how he ISN'T a HOF'er?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kepper19 said:

@judgebuck said:

I find it HILARIOUS when people ask if Molina is a HOF'er...are people crazy? He is one of the best catchers all time? Tell me how he ISN'T a HOF'er?

Molina was a below average hitter. Take away his 2012 and 2013 seasons, and what's left is pretty darn unimpressive. Even with those seasons, he looks a lot like Jim Sundberg. Defensively not a lot to distinguish him from Boone, Sundberg, Carter, and Rodriguez, and Carter and Rodriguez could actually hit! He'll probably get in, but his defense really wasn't special enough to make up for his lack of offense.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Molina is a first-ballot lock for the HOF. If you don't agree, you simply don't understand the voting criteria.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

He'll get in but his rep far exceeds his output. .399 career slugging? That's.... terrible.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Molina is a first-ballot lock for the HOF. If you don't agree, you simply don't understand the voting criteria.

Nobody understands the voting criteria.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Molina is one case where I would throw out offensive statistics. One of the greatest defensive catchers of all time. If Mike Piazza can make it with superior offensive statistics and average-at-best defensive statistics, then Molina should get the benefit of the opposite.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:

I'll cop to that. I have no idea what makes Harold Baines and Jim Kaat HoFers and Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens not, or, if you have a bias against those two, Bobby Grich and Kevin Brown not.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2022 5:47PM

My 2 cents….Based on the way they are now letting people in the Hall….Garvey, Munson, Mattingly, Will Clark and others belong on. Each of these 4 players was better than many recently elected and each of them was one of the best players of their era.