Home Sports Talk
Options

doubledragon

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

serious post. i feel for you, bro. i know you love the Panthers, but i can't help but question the people in the org calling the shots. when they acquired Sam Darnold, i smh. when they hired Rhule i didn't necessarily shake it, but i scratched the top of it. when they acquired Mayfield i shook it so hard i gave myself a migraine. i have a really hard time getting on board with some of Carolina's most important personnel moves.

and the guy i feel sorriest for? McCaffrey. wasn't too long ago when he was one of the best players in the entire league. now he's slowly fading into oblivion. every team from here on out this is gonna load the box to stop him, because they sure as hell won't manifest an ounce of respect for a guy with a 15.3 QBR.

i have no earthly idea who your team's GM is, but i don't think he and i would see eye to eye on much.

your thoughts?

(and anyone else's.)

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm furious with the Panthers, last year we had a chance to get Mac Jones in the draft, that's who I wanted, and we selected Jaycee Horn, and went and got Sam Darnold, that made me furious. And now we go and get Baker Mayfield. I have to tell you, I don't know what the heck is wrong with Baker Mayfield, I watched him at Oklahoma and he was a fiery competitor, I loved him at Oklahoma, but except for that one good season with the Browns, he just turned to crap in the NFL. Matt Rhule said last year that hey, these things take time, he compared us to Jay-Z, these things take 7 years he said, I want Matt Rhule gone. As far as Christian McCaffrey goes, I love the guy, but if the wind blows he gets hurt, you just can't depend on him. I honestly wish we would just clean house and start over.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just spent five minutes perusing discussions amongst Panthers fans. It seems as though there might be an almost consensus opinion (based on my five minutes) that the coaching and personnel of the team are so bad that Mayfield suddenly finds himself in the worst playing slump of his career. And this fact props up the idea that the coach and the GM are the problem and any QB they run through there is going to fail as well.

• Options

This really made me mad.

• Options

I really don't pay too much attention to what's going on up top, I know our GM is Scott Fitterer and I can tell you that I do not like the product being put on the field, a lot of bonehead decisions are being made.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I really don't pay too much attention to what's going on up top, I know our GM is Scott Fitterer and I can tell you that I do not like the product being put on the field, a lot of bonehead decisions are being made.

What's your best guess on an upcoming HC firing happening? What will it take?

• Options
    edited October 5, 2022 3:03PM

i knew CMcC had been hurt a lot, but not only 10 games played in '20 & '21 combined kinda hurt. i wonder what the average number of games played per season is for a 200 or <200-pound back? (he's listed at 205.) is that enough beef to survive an NFL season nowadays?

truthfully he's not having a terrible year thus far, toting it at a 4.7 clip and leading the team in receptions. personally, i'd wear him out or trade him while his stock is still relatively high.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

What's your best guess on an upcoming HC firing happening? What will it take?

I hope he gets canned ASAP. You know what he said about bypassing Mac Jones in the draft? He says, "I just believe in Sam Darnold." That infuriated me. I want him gone ASAP!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i knew CMcC had been hurt a lot, but not only 10 games played in '20 & '21 combined kinda hurt. i wonder what the average number of games played per season is for a 200 or <200-pound back? (he's listed at 205.) is that enough beef to survive an NFL season nowadays?

truthfully he's not having a terrible year thus far, toting it at a 4.7 clip and leading the team in receptions. personally, i'd wear him out or trade him while his stock is still relatively high.

He is having a pretty good season, let me say this, there is a lot of little things going on right now with the Panthers, if it wasn't so sad it might actually be comical, frustration is starting to boil over. Baker Mayfield has been a bit snarky at the media with some of his responses to questions. Matt Rhule scolded the wide receivers recently and said that they need to get open for Mayfield, DJ Moore obviously resented that comment and was annoyed by this when the media brought it up as you can see in this video. There's a lot of this type of stuff going on right now, it's almost comical.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭

McCaffrey is the poster child for why you don't sign RBs to big contracts. Teams should keep them on their rookie deal, franchise them one year, and then move on. I don't think any of the big money RB deals have worked out in the last 5+ years.

Robb

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said this before and I will say it again, Baker Mayfield wants to be good so bad, his wife wants him to be good almost as bad but the problem is he just isn't good

• Options

Another interesting thing, Baker Mayfield has had 11 passes batted down this season, and when asked by the media if there are any practice drills that can Mayfield alleviate that problem, he was a bit snappish with his response.

"No, I mean it still goes to what we’ve been talking about, finding windows to throw in-game, and also being sure to get our hands down when it comes to quick game — things like that," Mayfield responded. "Just finding windows."

Mayfield then encountered a question about trying "something new or change something drill-wise" during midweek sessions.

"If you have a drill for me, let me know," the first overall pick from the 2018 draft snapped back. "It’s staying in the pocket, finding windows to throw, getting their hands down in quick game, everything I said."

• Options
    edited October 5, 2022 4:51PM

Mayfield was also asked about being booed Sunday by the fans, and he responded with something like, "Well we scored didn't we?" Yes, they did score, but by then it was too late, garbage time, because they played like crap the whole game. It also annoys me that the first game of the season against the Browns, Baker's revenge game, when he saud he was going to "f... the Browns up", it annoys me that they came out of the gate sluggish, unmotivated, and allowed the Browns to get an early lead, that was the difference in the game, they made a comeback but it was too late because they started the game unmotivated and played like garbage and let the Browns push them around, in their own house I might add.

• Options

See, I still wake up in a cold sweat over this one, I can't believe the Panthers came out looking like garbage at the start of the Browns game. It's like Joe Namath making the guarantee, if your quarterback makes a comment like this, you better make damn sure you're able to back it up.

• Options

that DJ Moore clip is classic. if ever someone had a "i really wish i could answer that question honestly, but i can't, so here's some canned pop tarts for you to print" look on his face, Moore had it.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Another interesting thing, Baker Mayfield has had 11 passes batted down this season, and when asked by the media if there are any practice drills that can Mayfield alleviate that problem, he was a bit snappish with his response.

"No, I mean it still goes to what we’ve been talking about, finding windows to throw in-game, and also being sure to get our hands down when it comes to quick game — things like that," Mayfield responded. "Just finding windows."

Mayfield then encountered a question about trying "something new or change something drill-wise" during midweek sessions.

"If you have a drill for me, let me know," the first overall pick from the 2018 draft snapped back. "It’s staying in the pocket, finding windows to throw, getting their hands down in quick game, everything I said."

Some people get on Mahomes for the sidearm passes but that's why he does it, so his passes don't get
    knocked down.
    I remember hearing something interesting about Mayfield at Oklahoma.
    That Mayfield had elite receivers at OK that would get wide open so he had many easy completions.
    So maybe he was never as good as some people thought, but his receivers just made him look better
    than he actually was.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    that DJ Moore clip is classic. if ever someone had a "i really wish i could answer that question honestly, but i can't, so here's some canned pop tarts for you to print" look on his face, Moore had it.

Classic, I can't help but be amused by it! We are a very dysfunctional family right now, and I think it's only going to get worse, I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm actually enjoying the clownshow right now, it's very entertaining!

• Options

I think that Baker will see better days this season. But I also seriously dislike some of the answers coming out of the mouths of him and his coach. This should be an entertaining season. I wouldn't give up on him just yet. The coach propping up Baker while throwing other players under the bus is misguided. I he the distinct impression that Rhule does not know how to handle things verbally.

• Options

@Darin said:

@doubledragon said:

Some people get on Mahomes for the sidearm passes but that's why he does it, so his passes don't get
    knocked down.
    I remember hearing something interesting about Mayfield at Oklahoma.
    That Mayfield had elite receivers at OK that would get wide open so he had many easy completions.
    So maybe he was never as good as some people thought, but his receivers just made him look better
    than he actually was.

Very real possibility, he certainly doesn't look like the Heisman winning quarterback he was in college. Matt Rhule actually kind of put Baker on notice this week:

"We have to get it fixed because the protection is good enough that we can settle that down a little bit. That has to happen this week. It’s been four weeks of it,” Rhule said, via Ellis Williams of the Charlotte Observer. “We just need Baker to settle down and play within the scheme and play on time. Those are the things that we coach. Those are the things that we believe in, he believes in.”

"When fans pay their money to come here, they deserve to see better football than we played (on Sunday),” Rhule said. “We played good defense, but people want to see offense. They want to be entertained. … When you play the way we played on defense for long parts of that game, we just need the offense to kind of kick in a little bit and make some plays.”

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I think that Baker will see better days this season. But I also seriously dislike some of the answers coming out of the mouths of him and his coach. This should be an entertaining season. I wouldn't give up on him just yet. The coach propping up Baker while throwing other players under the bus is misguided. I he the distinct impression that Rhule does not know how to handle things verbally.

Rhule is completely lost in the NFL, he's better suited in the college game, he just doesn't know how to rebuild an NFL team. Word on the street is that our owner David Tepper was very disgusted with Rhule after last season, but he decided to give him another chance to right the ship. So, Rhule is playing with serious fire.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2022 5:54PM

Meanwhile, the fans have had it with Matt Rhule, the movement has started.

• Options

If that is the direction we are headed, then I'm going to make the best of it and enjoy the clownshow!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing the NFL and it propensity for upsets, the Panthers will no doubt rise up as an underdog one week, and defeat a team they have no business winning against. So there's that to look forward to.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry bro. I have sympathy but just the space between lip and nose. I’m a Bills fan. Shall I repeat the disappointment since their last championship in 1965? Love ya but been there done that for almost 60 years

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Sorry bro. I have sympathy but just the space between lip and nose. I’m a Bills fan. Shall I repeat the disappointment since their last championship in 1965? Love ya but been there done that for almost 60 years

I hear brother, we've come up short in two Super Bowls, the pain will always be there.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Knowing the NFL and it propensity for upsets, the Panthers will no doubt rise up as an underdog one week, and defeat a team they have no business winning against. So there's that to look forward to.

Fact

• Options
    edited October 6, 2022 3:36AM

I remember the pathetic Patriots squads from the 80's and early 90's, the 70's they were absolutely pathetic, one time I don't know what year it was but they literally took a guy from the stands to suit up because they were short handed lol

Basically you just never know the fortunes a team might have down the road

If the Pats can turn their franchise around any team can

Hang in there Double D!

• Options

Just so you know I'm telling truth about the story of taking a guy from the stands

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it gives you confidence take note that I picked Carolina this week, and it is obvious how good I am at picking winners.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Firing Matt Rhule ain't gonna solve the problem. There is a whole group of leadership issues that lead to mistakes in player personnel. Anyone who did analytics on Mayfield could see that he was destined for average at best in the NFL. Yikes. Compare to Jacksonville, looks like they finally made a good move in the draft and now their upside is going strong. Carolina needs to clean house in the GM and coaching offices, make a good draft pick(s) over the next few years and right themselves.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2022 7:02PM

Well, the clownshow continued yesterday, our wide receiver Robbie Anderson was upset for not getting targets and he was fighting with the coaches on the sidelines the entire game. So finally, our interim head coach Steve Wilks had seen enough, and kicked him out in the start of the 4th quarter. This was an embarrassing Antonio Brown type incident, here's the video.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2022 8:54PM

There was an incident yesterday at the Rams/Panthers game.....A Panther player got into some sort of argument with the coaches.... I was there and I saw it.....I keep an eye on the sidelines...... After All....That's where the cheerleaders are!!!!!......The Panthers are a team with no direction right now.....It's a Hot Mess!

The Panthers should sack the players and put their Cheerleaders on the field ....

When you get beat by the Rams?.....YOU'RE NO GOOD!

My Pick For QB..

Offensive Line

RECIEVERS!!!!!

AND...They Need A New Head Coach...My Pick?

Couldn't Be Any Worse Than What They Have Now......

• Options
    edited October 18, 2022 5:05AM

Yes, no, yes, I'm fine really, this season isn't bothering me at all. Everyone have a nice day.