Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Are there any modern 1/1 cards from popular sets that haven't been opened yet?

Post of the huge pulls from modern sets get advertised pretty heavily when pulled from packs; especially 1/1 huge name rookies, etc.

Are you aware of any huge name players (basketball / baseball) that had 1/1 or very rare cards that were never pulled and remain in sealed boxes out there?

Just curious. Was discussing this with friends the other day. Was curious of any you knew about.

-- Ryan Bell

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

while he is no longer a huge name, for a very long time the Evan Longoria superfractor rookie had never surfaced. I dont know if it ever was pulled or ended up in a long term collection.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has a 2009 -10 ’48 Bowman red boarder Steph Curry ever surfaced? ... :)

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

1982 Gold Upper Super Refractor Autograph Thumb Print 1/1 of Shooty Babbitt. LOL!!

Kind of hard question to answer. If someone opened a pack and got one, they may have just held on to it.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • 1all1all Posts: 510 ✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2022 2:00PM

Snarky response removed..... Good luck.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

2020 WNBA Prizm Sabrina Ionescu black 1/1 has not yet surfaced. While not a 6 figure+ card, it will garner a pretty decent amount.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 7:01AM

There is no way to know unless the product price is high like National Treasures and even then someone may not share their hits. For regular product someone could have bought some blasters, given packs as party favors at a kids birthday - little Jimmy or Suzie went home - opened the only packs they ever opened, pulled a one of one and have it in with their toys somewhere to eventually be discarded.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2022 8:57AM

@brad31 said:
    There is no way to know unless the product price is high like National Treasures and even then someone may not share their hits. For regular product someone could have bought some blasters, given packs as party favors at a kids birthday - little Jimmy or Suzie went home - opened the only packs they ever opened, pulled a one of one and have it in with their toys somewhere to eventually be discarded.

hey brad31,
    blasters as a birthday give away...send me an invitation... :)

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@brad31 said:

hey brad31,
    blasters as a birthday give away...send me an invitation... :)

I said packs out of blasters. I am not Rockefeller!!

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

I think this is a really interesting (but mostly unanswerable) question. For older unopened product (by which I mean mostly pre-insert/numbered/rainbow heavy product), say 1983 Topps, the hunt is always on for a big rookie, or a high grade star card. For modern unopened, the hunt is for the 1/1, 1/5, etc. What happens to the value of the modern unopened if you can document that all of the big pulls have happened? For instance, if the big 1/1 cards have been found and slabbed or showcased on a ripper's feed, does the value of the modern unopened plummet? The longer we get away from any particular issue's release date, the more likely it is that the big pulls have happened. I also think that what someone suggested above, that a random kid pulled a big card but doesn't understand what he/she has, is certainly possible and as a consequence the broader hobby community will never know that the card was pulled but "lost." I could see someone trying to be methodical about identifying a particular product, like Mosaic or Prizm, researching the big pulls, and then making a concerted effort to focus unopened collecting on a product where the big pull was still at large. But what happens when someone else makes the big pull? Does the unopened modern product drop in value, or does it maintain some sort of value simply as an unopened example of a popular product? With vintage unopened, the value is found primarily in the rarity of the unopened product itself, and not in the value of the potential pulls from the product. A 1983 Topps rack pack, unless a major rookie or star is showing, is a $35-40 pack. That value exists primarily because unopened collectors value that rack as an example of 1983 Topps unopened rack packs, not on the hope that a pristine Sandberg rookie is hiding inside.

Just a fun question, but probably one that is really hard to answer.

kevin

• jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I'm aware it could have been pulled and no one said anything. I'm more referring to "There's 1/1 (insert HOF level player here) that's never been seen publicly or for sale anywhere."

-- Ryan Bell