Home Sports Talk
Options

Tua Injury

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

As anyone who watched the Thursday night game would probably agree, the Injury to Tua was pretty scary. when he hit the back of his head, his arms/hands had an immediate reaction, similar to some type of seizure. I have to assume that had he been held out of this game after the big hit/possible concussion he sustained 4 days ago, this wouldn't have happened.

It seems his head coach is not taking this seriously, as he is saying it is nothing more serious than a concussion.

"It's an emotional moment. It's not a part of the deal you sign up for. His teammates and myself were very concerned, but he got checked out and it's nothing more serious than a concussion."

well, a concussion is a pretty serious thing, bruising to the brain and all. each successive concussion is easier to get than the previous one. with what we know about CTE, this is nothing to be played around with. This guys life could be forever altered by this. I would think he needs to be held out for an extended period for this to heal. I bet they put him out there in 2 or 3 weeks though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 6:39AM

Like I said in my Jimmy the Greek special thread, Tua is to blame as well. He could have told the staff that he is not going back in as well as saying he wasn't ready to play Thursday.

He knows the risks. It's not hidden anymore so I blame Tua just as much as the Dolphins organization.

They best go after them hard because if it was the Patriots doing this to Mac Jones or Brady the entire NFL and fanbase world would be HATING on us even more

• Options

I agree that Tua has a say in this as well. he knows his body. I have to think that having what I assume are 2 concussions in a 4 day period is a very serious thing. I remember back to Austin Collie and his concussion issues. after that first one, each additional one takes less and less impact to concuss.

Brain injuries are just such a serious thing. not like a knee or shoulder that heals and is over.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 7:41AM

i agree with you guys to a point. Tua is indeed a grown man and can therefore make grown-man decisions on his own. but sometimes you have to save these guys from themselves. they're warriors who want to win. plus, i'm sure they feel an immense amount of pressure to get out there -- especially a player who is the face of the team like the starting QB.

i personally place a much greater portion of the blame on the league. as i stated in the Jimmy the Greek thread, i just get a filthy feeling when i think about the NFL. it's a money-grubbing entity that will stop at nothing to put the best product on the field -- future health of these guys be damned.

sure, the league says it cares. they've tweaked the protocol. but let's not kid ourselves, eotd it cares about as much as your employer does until you stop producing -- then all of a sudden those players become smudges of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage

• Options
    edited September 30, 2022 8:00AM

If they find out that the "Independant" agency was paid off to fudge the blue tent or concussion protocol by the Dolphins then they will become the most negatively talked about franchise in the history of the game, like they will probably get canceled out by EVERYONE

They will be burning Dolphins jerseys everywhere

• Options

^^^^^ agreed. that would be a HUGE controversy and many heads would roll due to it.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 9:09AM

@galaxy27 said:

>

.... i just get a filthy feeling when i think about the NFL. it's a money-grubbing entity that will stop at nothing to put the best product on the field -- future health of these guys be damned.

I get the same feeling watching the game, Galixco. And I just can't shake it off. And......it really annoys me when people talk about how the players are overpaid....... I don't think so......they deserve every penny they make. They earn it. This Tua njury reminds me of the injury that wrecked Joe Montana.....it was sickening to see and I'll never get it out of my mind......Montana is a physical basket case now and forever. If this Tua incident goes south......I think there might very well be major changes coming to football.

And your point about; the NFL "will stop at nothing to put the best product on the field?"......... well that extends to the league tolerating completely unacceptable off the field behavior by players........A lot of car crashes and girlfriends getting slammed around would stop immediately if the league would put it's foot down and kick a few players out of the league when they commit criminal bodily assault etc. But they don't..... And probably never will......Money! Money! Money!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@galaxy27 said:

>

.... i just get a filthy feeling when i think about the NFL. it's a money-grubbing entity that will stop at nothing to put the best product on the field -- future health of these guys be damned.

I get the same feeling watching the game, Galixco. And I just can't shake it off. And......it really annoys me when people talk about how the players are overpaid....... I don't think so......they deserve every penny they make. They earn it. This Tua njury reminds me of the injury that wrecked Joe Montana.....it was sickening to see and I'll never get it out of my mind......Montana is a physical basket case now and forever.

Ok then pay first responders and military the same salary.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I look at this a little differently because it just doesn't enter my thinking that there's something sinister going on about the injury last Sunday and a connection to what happened last night. I take everyone at their word that Sunday wasn't a concussion(it was a back injury) and what happened last night was a coincidental vicious tackle. To be honest, I half expected a flag on the play.

Am I the only one that saw a little too much exuberance in the Cincy defense all night?? Three plays stand out:
    --- when Tua ran and got jacked just before he stepped out of bounds.
    --- when three Cincy players combined to lift the Miami runner up and slam him to the ground after he was clearly down with the whistle blown.
    --- another play on Tua involved a Cincy lineman who hit him below the knees and almost crumpled him.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's "Football" but it strikes me as a little disingenuous to claim to be worried about the health of fellow players when you're busy trying to injure them during the game. I'd hate to think Cincinnati is heading back to the Vontaze Burfict style of play, they are too good for that. Maybe the NFL needs to follow the lead of the NCAA and use the "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" calls as warnings with an ejection on the second call. It sounds harsh, but again, if everybody is so concerned about the health of the players it seems a reasonable way to go.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is true not much has changed. I’m the old days, horse and buggy to you whipper snappers they used to say he got his bell rung. A whiff of smelling salts and back in you go big fella.
    I hope everyone involved get the ax and Tua’s family sues the crap out of everyone.
    Player safety huh? We’ll see

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2022 12:39PM

@perkdog said:

>

You got that right Perky!...I just read that a large percentage of military families are on food stamps!......I spent a lot of time years ago on Marine bases.....29 Palms and Camp Pendelton and March Field Air Force Base......Nobody was rich but the kids had cash money for snacks and toys at the PX and burgers and fries at the base hamburger joint.....God!, those hamburgers were good at March Field!......The Best!......Something is not right now.....I agree with you! 👍

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

>

You got that right Perky!...I just read that a large percentage of military families are on food stamps!......I spent a lot of time years ago on Marine bases.....29 Palms and Camp Pendelton and March Field Air Force Base......Nobody was rich but the kids had cash money for snacks and toys at the PX and burgers and fries at the base hamburger joint.....God!, those hamburgers were good at March Field!......The Best!......Something is not right now.....I agree with you! 👍

it is plain criminal if many of our military families have to be on food stamps. as a country we should be ashamed. they deserve so much better than that...

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the players have to be saved from themselves sometimes. And in this case noone was doing that because the team obviously was not too concerned. Even after this concussion it does not seem as though the team is too concerned.

A lot of bad hits happen when the QB spins too much or holds on too long. During this play, Tua definitely held onto the ball way too long.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a reason teams take helmets away from guys and we now have independent doctors. Guys have to be protected from themselves. AND, if they are hurt, they may not physically be capable of making good decisions.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

One of the reasons they don't pull themselves is they see all the abuse players take when they don't play because of an injury, Jay Cutler anyone? If he hadn't played Thursday, there would have been whispers about Tua being soft and not willing to sacrifice for the team, etc., etc., etc.

As for the nonsense about Tua's impairment at the end of the half of the previous game being from a back injury, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5c_zR85ca4

That is not a back injury.

Robb

• Options

Thank you, Dr. @fergie23.

The interesting thing about all this is that if he hadn't been injured in the game on Thursday nobody would be on a soapbox hollering he never should have played, he was injured on Sunday. If he hadn't been injured on Sunday nobody would be talking about what happened on Thursday at all. I saw both plays and what happened on Thursday was in no way related to what happened the previous Sunday. Tua looked fine until the injury and he apparently passed all protocol in place.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    Thank you, Dr. @fergie23.

The interesting thing about all this is that if he hadn't been injured in the game on Thursday nobody would be on a soapbox hollering he never should have played, he was injured on Sunday. If he hadn't been injured on Sunday nobody would be talking about what happened on Thursday at all. I saw both plays and what happened on Thursday was in no way related to what happened the previous Sunday. Tua looked fine until the injury and he apparently passed all protocol in place.

Ofcourse they were not related but Tua should not have been on the field after what happened to him in the Bill's game, I'm not a DR but I would have bet every penny to.my name that he had a concussion, I mean seriously,

• Options

@perkdog, I guess I just trust the judgement of the doctors and coaching staff. I have a really hard time believing they knew he was at risk and allowed him to play anyway. Add to that his performance before he got hurt on Thursday and he looked OK. The whole incident will no doubt put even more scrutiny on the NFL and their concussion protocol, but I think it's strict right now and has worked well.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scariest thing about Tua's injury Thursday night was the way his fingers locked up, a neurologist and concussion expert said when the fingers lock up like that, it could be an indication of damage to the brain cortex.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/concussion-expert-says-tua-tagovailoas-201859010.html

• Options
    edited October 1, 2022 11:56AM

Tua should sit out the rest of the season.......anything else is beyond beyond......Unthinkable.....Sad situation.....

If he's smart he'll hang it up for good!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Maywood, you apparently have never had a concussion or a back injury (I've had both).

There were plenty of people hollering that he should never have been let back into the game against the BIlls, so no soapboxes here.

"what happened on Thursday was in no way related to what happened the previous Sunday." Where is your medical degree from again? You obviously know nothing about concussions and the increased risk of another concussion after previously having one.

Robb

• Options
    edited October 1, 2022 4:48PM

Hang it up.....

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had 7 concussions that I'm aware of. Probably a few more back in the day when bell-rung was the norm for football games and practice. You don't think anything is affected a day or 2 after. 2 good slammers on concrete I had in the span of 7 days in my 30s....you tell everyone things are fine, even if you can't remember what happened for a while (took me a year to recall what actually happened with that first of 2 in that week).

The Sunday one for Tua I thought was maybe a mild one but the wobble legs I was familiar with, he definitely got a light one and the clutch fingers Thursday...he got a good one there. He shouldn't have played Thursday, but he prob didn't think anything of the first one and I'm sure had the 'I'm a grown ass man don't tell me not to play today, I'm fine' thing going.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2022 1:44PM

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog, I guess I just trust the judgement of the doctors and coaching staff. I have a really hard time believing they knew he was at risk and allowed him to play anyway. Add to that his performance before he got hurt on Thursday and he looked OK. The whole incident will no doubt put even more scrutiny on the NFL and their concussion protocol, but I think it's strict right now and has worked well.

I would not trust anyone involved in it, obviously that's just me, your certainly entitled to your opinion.

I think.we will find out soon enough and I'm betting that if it is confirmed he had a concussion it will be an insane amount of bad press for the Fins

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is these concussions have a cumulative effect for long-term damage to the brain. Tua should have been held out for this game it turns out and this is why the doc got fired as he was not willing to stand up for this to the team so he 'made mistakes' on the assessment of Tua. The aftermath of the one against the Bengals was not pretty to watch. I thought he had a couple dislocated fingers until it started to play out. That was not good. I agree with Hydrant that needs to sit out the season and I suspect that any doctor with no skin in the game would likely recommend that. Begs the question as to why anyone risks their lives in sports like this, but I am not one to talk as all of the things I have done to myself in hard bicycle crashes, including a cracked skull that took 8 months of rehab b4 I could work, and ride, again.................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

I agree with hydrant. Tua should not be playing again this season. next time, it will take less of a hit for a concussion, even less the next time. and on and on.

• Options

that clip was interesting. I agree about parents watching and not allowing their kids to play football. it may impact the future of the game. I know my kids will not be playing football.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog, I guess I just trust the judgement of the doctors and coaching staff. I have a really hard time believing they knew he was at risk and allowed him to play anyway.

Well, they fired the guy who made that decision because of "mistakes" so your trust might be misplaced.

Coaches and doctors have a long history of not taking player safety into account. That's why the independent doctors are there in the first place (thanks to what happened with Colt McCoy).

• Options
    edited October 2, 2022 12:10PM

Coaches and doctors have a long history of not taking player safety into account. That's why the independent doctors are there in the first place.

The way I read the story is that the guy who was fired was the Independent doctor.

• Options

I was listening to some talking heads yesterday and one said he thinks Tua should be held out till next season. another said 6-9 weeks.

If I were Tua, I would be very very cautious. you only get one brain.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2022 8:48AM

I was perusing the @Goldenage thread about hockey love when I got the idea to do a fifteen minute or so dive (over coffee) into NBA face masks. I then found a pretty good video regarding such. I looked at that person's other video's and thought it this would fit here. The main takeaway I have is that the NFL will most likely change some of the fine print in their protocols and leave less ambiguity and loopholes (whether or not something nefarious is happening). https://youtu.be/4VV0Qb5rK8I

Edited to change one word

• Options

there is also much consensus over the optics of concussion protocol on the field. when a player is visibly wobbly or shaking out the cobwebs, they need to come out of the game