Home Sports Talk
Options

LeSean McCoy calls Kyler Murray trash

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

LeSean McCoy just went off on Kyler Murray, unbelievable.

LeSean McCoy slams Cardinals QB Kyler Murray's play style: 'He's trash,' plays 'like a high school player'

Kyler Murray is no stranger to controversy, feuding with the Cardinals this offseason before signing their lucrative contract offer -- and then publicly complaining about an unprecedented clause in the same contract. The star quarterback is also divisive on the field, at least in the eyes of former running back LeSean McCoy. Addressing Murray's play style on the "I Am Athlete Tonight" podcast, McCoy on Thursday called Murray a "trash" QB, suggesting he plays "like a high school player."

"He's trash. Overhyped. Overrated," McCoy said. "He plays like a high school player. Runs around, runs backward, he does a circle, the ballerina circle, then goes left, goes right, turns all the way around again, then looks for a wide receiver. That's not how you play quarterback."

Asked why Murray should get criticized for his freestyling when someone like Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes is unanimously beloved, McCoy pushed back on the comparison.

"He ain't Mahomes," said McCoy, who spent 2019 in Kansas City. "Let me tell you about Mahomes real quick: the majority of Mahomes' passes are (based on) timing. Third step, hit, boom, ball's out. Fifth step, boom, ball's out. Now sometimes he goes off script, we all can do that ... (but) not every pass! Every pass, (Murray is) holding the ball, let's make a miracle. Every game he's played. Watch him play. It's really embarrassing, to be honest. Like, who's coaching this kid?"

Murray may be athletically gifted, McCoy argued, but his tendency to rely on his legs, scrambling in and outside the pocket, isn't necessarily a good indication of his ability to play QB.

"He ain't reading no coverages," McCoy said, suggesting Murray's infamous contract clause -- which mandated a certain amount of film study -- makes sense in light of the QB's style of play. "When a quarterback is running around like that all day, all night, all game, that's because he's not reading any coverages."

So far this year, Murray has found mixed results as the Cardinals' highly paid starter. His 784 passing yards rank seventh among all starters through three games, but he's completing under 64% of his throws (ranked 17th) and averaging just 5.6 yards per attempt (33rd) for a 1-2 team in search of its first playoff win since he took over under center.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

So McCoy is trying to be a podcast or sports talk guy for retirement?

He has been saying alot of eye raising stuff lately.

I never liked him, he is a punk

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, those are fighting words. sounds like he is trying real hard to get noticed.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 6:15AM

fire hydrant's favorite human beings of all time (updated):

1 (tie) - any hydrant

2 (tie) - any cheerleader anywhere with the exception of the male Rams cheerleader grabbing his ass in that picture

3 - Shady McCoy

4 - Cooper Kupp

5 - Josh Allen

• Options

McCoy called Kyler Murray a ballerina, nope, I'm sorry but there's only room for one ballerina in this league.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 9:58AM

Galixco, when I opened this thread I was really concerned that your mental health would be in jeopardy. My immediate thought was to PM AFL fan to see if he would eliminate the thread before you saw it and had a breakdown.......But then I read your post about me!.......I was so relieved!..... You're o.k.! .....Same old you. Just as mean as ever and spot on correct!.....You're excellent.... A real pip! 😁

And,.....As you know I went to the Rams/Cards game last Sunday. I promised a report but never posted it because I wanted to spare your feelings. In a nutshell?....Kyler was, well, ......Kyler. Oh, Brother was he ever!.....One good thing happened though. I decided to take notes at the game so I could give a really good Kyler report......But I needed a clipboard. So I went to Staples to get one. The clipboards on the top shelf were $9.98 each!.....But on the bottom shelf there was a three pack for $8.98! I bought them! Anyway, there I was at the game with my clipboard and wearing my official insider only Rams headgear. I must have looked pretty impressive because little kids kept coming over to me asking for my autograph! Of course I was happy to do so. And they were happy too!......Win Win!....Downside?..... I have two extra clipboards. Do you need one?.....Let me know.
    Best part of the game?.....I had a really good up close seat!

Oh, Yea!

• Options

For the record, I like Kyler Murray, I think he's exciting to watch and a phenomenal athlete, my Panthers play the Cardinals this weekend and I dread having to go up against Murray. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think Russell Wilson is calling me.

• Options
    RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 1:36PM

Born and raised AZ, and I want Kyler Murray to go away. Can't stand watching his little legs scamper around like a cute little rodent. Not even rooting for the Cardinals with this guy, he's embarrassing as a pro QB. Gets lucky here and there which unfortunately will keep him doing it.

He's gunna get b-slapped hard one day by a 300 pounder and that will be that. Am hoping for it. Yep, guess I'm evil as I hope he gets a couple of these quickly: (watch on youtube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9JEL6YO-iQ

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like him calling Murray "trash". When pros talk about other pros that is not the norm. But I've been hearing them do that more and more, so I'm thinking that it is not meant quite the way it sounds. I believe that the younger generation uses this term more commonly. 🤷 They just mean he is not that good I guess.