Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Copied from the U.S. Coin forum: “Possible” Scam Alert Originating from Wanted posts on our BS&T

I'm using the word “Possible” to hope that this post does not get closed down, as it’s important that many forum readers be aware of this. The following EXACT method of scam has been reported here several months ago, but since this attempt was just messaged to me an hour ago, it’s important this warning be shown again to as many viewers as possible.

I created a post on the BS&T several months ago looking to buy a specific coin. A person then creates a brand new account on the forum, and then messages me that a friend of his (probably him, not a friend) has exactly what I need, and provides me the “friends” email address. The way it was reported here many months ago, when the “friend” is contacted via email, he has the victim send money to an email address via PayPal Friends & Family. By using F&F, that provides no PayPal protection for the victim. I’m going to message the well respected victim who posted this scam warning us several months ago asking for permission to once show his forum name here to provide credibility to this post.

The message I just received was from davebe. When I clicked on his name I see his account was set up just yesterday, with no activity. His message reads “korder has xxxxxxxxx (the specific item I posted I’m looking to buy) for sale in good condition. Here’s his email korderfreeman@gmail.com”.

To try to keep this post from getting closed I’ll say “Maybe it’s a legitimate offer from a brand new member”, but since this is the EXACT method previously reported, I’ll also say “Watch Out”!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Comments

• MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld to close a post like this is nonsense

Martin

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received the message that "korder has the..."

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Received the same message from the same guy for sil er proof eagles

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've seen this too often to not be concerned. Thanks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52