Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How many sets should a person have in the same series?

I pose this question because I feel a sense of frustration. I am a collector of modest means. My goal is to have a set in the top ten. When I see a person proudly brag this is my second set and this is my third set of the same coins I wonder why. I say put your best set together and as you upgrade sell your coins no longer need for funds towards your next upgrade. Don't clog up the top ten with three sets. Just my 2 cent piece.

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2022 9:20PM

I agree with you. While I’m thrilled “the top” collector participates in our wonderful hobby, and I know he’s absolutely a positive asset for numismatics, it does make me wonder why he often chooses to have more than one coin set in the same Registry set. There’s no doubt it creates negative feelings among many other collectors!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 1:30AM

The frustration is totally understandable, but the collector’s second and possibly third sets do exist, and if they are superior, they deserve their position(s).
    These second and third sets could, just as easily, now or in the future, be owned by someone else, and the same results would occur.
    For some registrants, it’s good to know where the coins they need reside. A deal could be just an email or phone call away.

On the other hand, I would hope a top collector with multiple high ranked sets in a series could see greater benefits hiding their back-up set(s), and remain sufficiently satisfied with the display of their single superior set.
    Edited to add: exceptions may include, for example, two deserving top sets in a series from one owner, one white set and another toned. ;)

• braddickbraddick Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suppose you consider the Registry as coins competing against other coins instead of collectors competing against other collectors. In that case, it'll put a perspective on the Registry and bring you more joy and less frustration.

peacockcoins

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭

Only one set should be allowed per person

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep a couple spare sets visible sometimes in case someone wants to ask about buying them. These are not competitive sets and so should not interfere with other collectors negatively, and I do not try to upgrade them, just sell or use them as inventory place holders.

When someone has multiple top published entries in the same set and is blocking other collectors from their quests, it is a bit excessive to take those spots and this should be discouraged.

At some point if every top set, (and several other close to top sets) are owned by one person, that could be a drag on the set registry, as some may simply give up.

This is a simple fix. If someone has more than one set in the top 5 or 10 that discourage other collectors, all they have to do is unpublish the extra sets. The sets are still active to the member and the set can stay in their monitored inventory, but it will allow others to move up in ratings and positions and would be a good compromise.

I have several extra sets that are top sets that I have unpublished for this reason.

National Commemorative Medals of the U.S. Mint:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/195526

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only ONE for ranking.
    One person at the top of most sets annoyed the **************** out of someone by running multiple sets so someone else ventured into additional sets, bumping him out of some top spots he once held and I was a proud helper in getting him bumped out of the way. The ego trip this person must be on is not good for the hobby and I am proud to have helped in a small way to take him down a notch for two sets.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

As evidenced by the rankings...the is no rule as to how many sets can be registered

You or anyone else is only limited by the financial ability to buy the coins that fill those slots

Right or wrong there is nobody who matters or could change it that monitors these threads

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• PwrHseProPwrHsePro Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭

I find myself in a similar situation. I have a number of Mercury Dimes so would like to use 2 sets as examples and maybe what I could see happen... assuming that collectors are intent on growing as a collector and continually wanting to better their sets...

There is a 1934-1934 set and the 1916-1945 set (and others) for Merc's.... If I complete the 34-45 set, that can show as complete and show the 16-45 set as partial. I think that if I complete the 16-34 set that the completed 34-45 set should dissolve. The next step may be if you have varieties, the same thing happens, if I get all the varieties the 16-45 set dissolves and turns into a 16-45 with varieties.

Of course ya need to figure out how/if Proofs fit in... and if for having FB you get more points and if that turns into a 16-45 FB set....

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 11:20AM

@PwrHsePro said:
    I find myself in a similar situation. I have a number of Mercury Dimes so would like to use 2 sets as examples and maybe what I could see happen... assuming that collectors are intent on growing as a collector and continually wanting to better their sets...

There is a 1934-1934 set and the 1916-1945 set (and others) for Merc's.... If I complete the 34-45 set, that can show as complete and show the 16-45 set as partial. I think that if I complete the 16-34 set that the completed 34-45 set should dissolve. The next step may be if you have varieties, the same thing happens, if I get all the varieties the 16-45 set dissolves and turns into a 16-45 with varieties.

Of course ya need to figure out how/if Proofs fit in... and if for having FB you get more points and if that turns into a 16-45 FB set....

In my opinion, I think you're fine keeping EACH of those sets. I believe the problematic issue is having multiple sets listed in the SAME Registry set if you're in the top 10. This issue came up because the top collector (and I'm thrilled he's partaking in our hobby) often has more than one set in that same Registry set, typically #1, along with either #2 or #3. The listing of those "extra" sets in the Top 10 disturbs others near that ranking.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PwrHsePro says

" the 16-45 set dissolves "                                                                                                                                                      

Not sure if I understand what you're saying here. I have several sets of the same type coin but different compositions with individual coins that are in multiple sets. Never had a set " dissolve " Are you saying they should ? Or they do automatically ?