Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismotography DSLR vs Mirrorless

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone here using a Mirrorless and want to share their experience?

they've been out a while now, so surely there are some floating around the forum.

i like the idea of the mirror NOT flipping up and causing micro-vibration for macro photography and perhaps one less part to go bad/need replacing.

especially like the idea of vibration removal for quicker imaging (shutter release issues) when using say, a microscopic objective.

do you find them more affordable now and prefer one over the other?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the Nikon Z9 (also have a Z6). The cameras are awesome! I could argue the Z9 is the best camera available for purchase that suits my varied needs. 30 frames per second at 45 megapixel for sports, eye auto-focus that grabs your subject so well. The camera is freaking awesome.

That said, I had to photograph a couple coins (dimes) recently. I have a 105mm Nikon Macro lens for DSLR but I do not have a Z-mount version of the same lens so I setup my old Nikon D300 that has a 1.5x crop sensor which turns the 105 into 152.5. Very useful for Dimes! If you know what you are doing with lighting, setup etc…the old D300 works great! If I bought the Z-mount 105, I would have more than enough megapixels to produce whatever I needed.

A new mirrorless latest and greatest like I have is not needed to photograph coins. As for the vibrations and such, I always shot coins at about 1/160th shutter speed and never have an issue. I have over $20k in photo equipment because of so many things that I do. Expensive or even mirrorless equipment is not required for coins.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also lock the mirror on a dslr so no mirror shake. I use a dslr and even that is overkill for coin photos. Heck even with nice cameras many people post blurry photos. I see no need for a new mirrorless camera to take coin photos.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, no advantage for coin photos.

For climbing photos, though - the mirrorless is a lighter camera body, and most of the climbing photographers switched over to Sony a few years ago.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 11:24AM

I've used mirrorless and dslr. They're both great when it comes to image quality. I had a Sony a6000 for a while, but I stopped using it because I couldn't do live tethering with it. In my opinion, live preview/tethering with remote actuation is essential for coin photography. I'm using a DSLR Canon Rebel right now because of the tethering software and the access to cheap (relatively speaking) second hand macro lenses.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve also used both. Mirrorless in itself is no advantage. However the mirrorless modern lenses do (in some cases) have an advantage in terms of sharpness and clarity. Generally speaking, though, a great coin picture is all about the lighting and white balance. Nail that and the rest is of little consequence.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mirror lock works just fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file