Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

All time grail football card

Most would consider either the t206 wagner or 52 mantle as the grail baseball card. what about football?
I think these would be the likely choices:

35 National Chicle Nagurski
58 Brown
65 Namath
00 Brady Champ Ticket
17 Mahomes NT RPA

I wonder what the consensus is here? Personally, I would take the Brady Champ Ticket. I think generally, most would choose the Namath as the most well known football grail.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always thought of the Nagurski card as the grail for football. Only 171 PSA graded.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always thought of the 1933 Sports Kings Red Grange and Jim Thorpe as the grails. The Grange is on my someday list. Nagursky is the other that I always put there.

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm partial to Jim Brown

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Brown is a great card, no doubt, but not a grail. Not enough common folks out in the world would recognize it. Doesn't even have his most common naming convention (Jim vs Jimmy).

The Wagner (and moreso lately the Mantle) have had TV airtime, news stories, been in the public eye for years and decades. THOSE are grails.

Closest thing is the Brady Champ Ticket for sure. Had so much airtime during pandemic of all-time high sales, etc. Unquestioned GOAT as well. Rare. Huge value.

In basketball, it's easy, the 86F Jordan. Everyone recognizes it, knows it, it's the grail.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2 most recognized football “grails” for decades have been the Nagurski and Namath. Of those, I’ll choose the Nags every single time.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    I have always thought of the 1933 Sports Kings Red Grange and Jim Thorpe as the grails. The Grange is on my someday list. Nagursky is the other that I always put there.

I love those!

Another great card from yesterday is the 1955 Topps All American Football #68 The Four Horsemen. It used to be very popular but seems to have lost it's steam.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    I'm partial to Jim Brown

Me too, and that is a beauty. I don't understand the low 5.5 grade, but I have not been able to adjust to the tighter grading standards. Luckily it does seem like it's been loosening. I would hold that card awhile and then crack and resubmit.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

What a beautiful Brown card. I have one that is graded by Beckett so the grail for me would be the 65 Topps Namath, I have several of his other Topps cards but the Idea of paying thousands for a low grade card is still tough for me to swallow.