Home Sports Talk

Should we get rid of artificial turf?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2022 3:32AM in Sports Talk

So, Odell Beckham just ripped into the NFL universe for the continued use of artificial turf, he is upset after seeing Sterling Shepard get a non contact knee injury on MNF.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would tend to agree. seems like they could spend what it takes to play on natural grass.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the roll-on-off turf at Arizona it has been proven that grass can be grown and used anywhere. It just takes owners with the decision making power to change it because I doubt the NFL will ever enforce a rule of Grass Only.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you do for teams that do not own the stadium, but lease?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring back grass fields and the scoring will go way down

Kentucky Bluegrass, baby!!! :)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Bring back grass fields and the scoring will go way down

I know that after Beckham got hurt last year, he got involved in this. Maybe there is a petition by players going around? But don't almost half of the stadiums have real grass now? Can anyone find stats to compare scoring at these stadiums?

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to an article from February:

According to the NFLPA, their data found that players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf, including a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a 69% higher rate of non-contact foot or ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

That would seem to be a pretty strong incentive to make it work with natural grass. So long as you have actual standards since some teams (cough, Pittsburgh, cough) don't take care of their fields to a high degree at all.

Fourteen NFL stadiums have artificial turf but two of them are used by two teams. That means half the games during a season are played on grass and half on turf. I tried to cut/paste a list of stadiums with the type of surface but the forum software blocks it.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prefer the natural surface. Has it ever been studied that when the rains come artificial is less injury causing than grass? In this regard which is safer.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".