Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Strange - eBay did NOT have me send a $1000 card to authentication - has this happened to anyone?

So every time over the last several months I've sold an expensive card eBay has me print a label where the card goes to their authentication service first. For the first time today, I went to print out a label for a $1000+ Jeter card and it just gave me the address directly to the buyer. Can the buyer opt out? I thought this was required. Should I be worried? Has this happened to anyone else here? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

was it a P.O. Box ?

• Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

There is a loophole in Ebay's system. When shipping to a PO Box it does not go through authentication. Ebay gives no warning of this to buyers or sellers.

This is pretty crappy of Ebay since obviously sellers and buyers feel better protected when an item goes through the authenticator. Authentication protects the seller against Item Not As Described claims. Dishonest buyers will catch on quickly and only have items shipped to PO Boxes to avoid the authentication process.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks jonfr...That's pretty good to know... :)

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with the recent eBay protocols. A card going to an authenticator first? This must not be a graded card?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the threshold was $750.00? I just won a card for less than that and it's being authenticated. I know the card is good (PSA) it was in a fellow Killebrew collectors possession for quite a while. Anxious to get it in hand and irritated that someone with less expertise than PSA will be 'reauthenticating" it.

This "service" should be optional for those worried about being scammed.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

It is a PO Box. Now I’m a little worried…

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    I am not familiar with the recent eBay protocols. A card going to an authenticator first? This must not be a graded card?

I sold a $700 graded card a few weeks ago and it went to an authenticator

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

The authenticator could be PSA. They might be checking the holder to make sure it has not been tampered with and is one of theirs, not a counterfeit.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    The authenticator could be PSA. They might be checking the holder to make sure it has not been tampered with and is one of theirs, not a counterfeit.

Interesting point, however in any case, the service should be optional.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Interesting development - I asked the guy I sold the card to about it and he says when he went to checkout Ebay gave him the option of whether to send to authentication or send it straight to him. Is that new or something? If so it must be very new, it's the first I've heard of it. The whole situation feels a little sketchy to me but I don't have any option really but to send the card.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johfr said:
    There is a loophole in Ebay's system. When shipping to a PO Box it does not go through authentication. Ebay gives no warning of this to buyers or sellers.

They do post it in their FAQ for the authentication program. That's not enough, IMHO. It should pop up as a warning for buyers who have a PO Box as their registered address. Probably sellers too.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@johfr said:

They do post it in their FAQ for the authentication program. That's not enough, IMHO. It should pop up as a warning for buyers who have a PO Box as their registered address. Probably sellers too.

Seem like if they simply shipped via USPS there would no issue going to PO Box. eBay be lovin' lettin' scammers have thems loopholes.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.