Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New gold pick ups and strange valuation

I just bought several european gold coins.
Pictures of the 1909 20 franc French rooster and 1949b 20 franc Switzerland coins are attached.

The Switzerland coin in hand looks so good i almost think it’s a proof.

I use ngc world coin guide to give me an estimate of values and I was very surprised these coins were well over $1,000- each. I know it’s a guide and actual prices can vary. I found in the past this guide to be good but nowhere can I find values this high for these coins. Has anyone else have issues with ngc on-line guide?

Besides looking at recent sales what other guides (I have an old world coin price guide too) for world coins do you like to use?

Thank you in advance for your comments.
🙂

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither are proof coinage.

The 1949 B Swiss 20Fr was minted in enormous numbers (10-million or so) and is considered a bullion coin in lower mint state grades. These can often be had in enormous numbers by the larger bullion dealers and they don't cost much over their gold content, even in the condition that your coin is in. I would suggest looking at places like APMEX for their offerings as well as simply looking at ebay where some of the large bullion dealers offer these coins as well.

The value of each piece is more-or-less their bullion content.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beware of coin guide pricing when it comes to bullion related coins. Bullion is bullion.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree they are not proof and I know price guides can be off from reality but I was just so amazed at the huge difference in this case. Believe me if someone wanted to pay the price guide amount these coins would be gone immediately.
    I liked these coins because I thought they are beautiful.
    It does make me laugh because when you read how price guides determine values by using various information but then they are sometimes off from reality.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!! Now squeeze the staples before they do any damage (scratching each other)