Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Board opinion please on my 2001 Topps traded chrome Pujols bgs 9.5

I purchased this about 6 years ago. Subs are 10, 10, 9.5, 9.5. Tens are centering and corners. Last 9.5 sold on ebay for $1450. After looking through the pop report, it appears that there is only 1 of these (.5 away from 10) out of 460 (8 BGS 10's exist).

Does anyone feel like the high subs will offer any value, especially since there is only 1 that I know of? Thanks.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some might find it more desirable, however it seems to me that many don't care about subgrades.

I sold a card that was an 8.5 and didn't get much more than 8 money.

Your posts show that you are keenly focused on scarcity. Many buyers/investors don't seem to care.

With Pujols in the news, that's probably a better reason to maximize the profit on the card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

how much did those 1 of 1 herbert's go for? you think if they were not numbered they would have sold for 1.8 and 1.1 million?

• Options

My point exactly, demand is high!

People are always crazy with new(er) players.

I had a Killebrew #3 of 3. Very rare, didn't sell for much.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

With 10 centering and corners it would have a good shot at a PSA 10, assuming it isn't trimmed (a real issue with BGS high grade cards). As for being "the only one" that is .5 away from a 10, I doubt many buyers will care. Within the population of Pujols 2001 TTC 9.5s it should have more value but that is just because a buyer will convince themselves they can get the card bumped to a BGS 10 or crossed to a PSA 10.

I don't believe there is any additional value from a sub-grade scarcity perspective (ie only 1 that you know of). IMO, that is the kind of thing desperate sellers try and advertise.

Robb

• Options

I looked at 1989 donruss griffey jr.

bgs 9.5 with all 9,5's sold for $175.

the other bgs 9.5's were sold for around $120.

AIkman same thing, higher subs mean a little more cash. It looks like some or a few people consider a true 9.5 to be all 9.5's or or higher and 9's the same way.

I don't expect it to be tons higher but when I sell it I will certainly "advertise" it as a 1 of 1 9.5.

• Options

My point exactl> @olb31 said:

I looked at 1989 donruss griffey jr.

bgs 9.5 with all 9,5's sold for $175.

the other bgs 9.5's were sold for around $120.

AIkman same thing, higher subs mean a little more cash. It looks like some or a few people consider a true 9.5 to be all 9.5's or or higher and 9's the same way.

I don't expect it to be tons higher but when I sell it I will certainly "advertise" it as a 1 of 1 9.5.

I would try to get a premium for that card as well.

Good luck with the sale!

• Options

I will probably hold on to it. I paid $75 for the card already graded, so I'm in no big hurry to get rid of it. But I am inventorying my collection and valuing them. Thanks for thoughts.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Nice card and there's a slight premium. You can't go wrong holding or selling this card. I have one that I am selling on ebay. The ROI is just too great and like you, I paid nothing for it.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are 3 upcoming windows to sell:

His last year, especially right now since he is so HOT right now.
    5 years from now when he is inducted into the Baseball HOF.
    Many years later when someone else joins the 700 club.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

its tough because im a collector that sales a few things. i like my hof rookies. lol!!

• Options

@olb31 said:

@Cakes said:

its tough because im a collector that sales a few things. i like my hof rookies. lol!!

This is a card I would keep in my collection.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we see the card?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 196 ✭✭✭✭

Subs matter, be sure to highlight them. Call it GEM++.
    I recently sold a 1985 Topps Roger Clemens BGS 9 with 2 9's & 2 9.5's. I labeled it as Mint++ because of the over-subs. I got $82 for it, pretty good since PSA 9's are usually $50-60.

• Options

@SoxPatsFan said:
    Subs matter, be sure to highlight them. Call it GEM++.
    I recently sold a 1985 Topps Roger Clemens BGS 9 with 2 9's & 2 9.5's. I labeled it as Mint++ because of the over-subs. I got $82 for it, pretty good since PSA 9's are usually $50-60.

nice!!