Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cuba: Republic gold Proof "Ernesto Che Guevara" 20 Pesos 1970 PR62 Ultra Cameo NGC

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2022 7:27PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Never saw one of these before this sale sold for almost 29k (no I did not win or bid on it just wanted to share):

https://coins.ha.com/itm/cuba/cuba-republic-gold-proof-ernesto-che-guevara-20-pesos-1970-pr62-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/61289-99047.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-WorldCoins-MyRecommendations-080216

Republic gold Proof "Ernesto Che Guevara" 20 Pesos 1970 PR62 Ultra Cameo NGC, cf. KM-XM31a (20 Peso unlisted) Struck to commemorate Ernesto Che Guevara.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently not legal to own in the US because of the embargo. Cuban coins dated after 1962 can be confiscated by the federal government if they feel like it. As far as I know, the embargo is still in effect. If the embargo is lifted, even for one day, then all the coins minted from 1962 to that date will be legal to own. eBay does not allow any Cuban coins to be sold on their website.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay policy is extreme as they also include non-embargoed coins/stamps/banknotes in their prohibition.

Some Cuban coins were never in Cuba, as they were produced and marketed outside of the island.

Also, there are situations where travel there is legal and those travelers are allowed to bring back a certain amount of souvenirs.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect Cuba but good to know thanks.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL