Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How long til sellers (ebay and others) realize gold isn't $2000 any more?

Man, every 8 Escudo is hanging there unsold at 3000 up.

oh well

Comments

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hvellente said:
    A lot of those sellers either:

(a) bought high and can't afford to sell at a loss, or

(b) hope to support an inflated mark-up by not lowering prices.

Both options are common among retailers and wholesalers. Small-time sellers will collapse their prices soon (their inventory/funds are locked in overpriced PMs), but well-heeled sellers will sit on their metal until prices rebound in months or years. Either way, prices should trend lower as the recession sinks in. Nobody wants to go first (fear of missing out) and nobody wants to go last (actually missing out).

A VERY dumb way to run a business. Businesses live or die on TURNOVER !!!! If the price declines, you sell.
    And...then...replace at lower cost for item.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many small dealers refuse to take a loss on anything. They will sit on their ever more stale stock until they die.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@FrankH said:
    Man, every 8 Escudo is hanging there unsold at 3000 up.

Reality should sink in soon, except for the sellers who would rather take the coin with them to the great beyond instead of taking a loss or not getting what they mistakenly think things are still worth. 😜

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

I have a rare Ecuadorian 8 escudo pcgs 55 on the bst for $2000 and haven't had a bite

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure is the seller. I just review all Mexican milled 8 escudos sales on Heritage since August 1 (23 coins) both Republican as well as Colonial. Only 4 coins sold for less than 3K, 3 of them were details. Assuming the dealer makes a living (and even if does not), there is no mathematical way to sell for less than 3K unless they buy higher than they sale with current prices. If at auction coins sell for over 3, it is not just the dealers but collectors too that are willing to pay high prices for the coins.

• Options

@tcollects said:
    I have a rare Ecuadorian 8 escudo pcgs 55 on the bst for $2000 and haven't had a bite

You mean the COLOMBIAN one on the BST?

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:

@tcollects said:

You mean the COLOMBIAN one on the BST?

yeah, I'm losing my marbles, but still...

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just like everything else in life that prices go up quite quickly, but don't want to come down in any hurry.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I was speaking more to the COMMON 8 Escudos. Chas IV gold is not rare.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copied from a post on the US forum:

"I have this theory that when a downturn of prices starts, the “low ballers” show up in force. Why is it every time the market becomes slightly illiquid these bottom feeders show up with a few bucks in their hands trying to buy at 50%.
    I always have turned them away at shows in the past, stating “it can rot in my case” but I’ll never sell for that price."

It's almost like different people have different ideas about how to price their coins. ;)