Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2023 dated QEII coins from Australia

The Royal Australian has a couple of 2023 dated QEII dated coins available for sale presently if anyone is interested. The mint ships to the US.

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2022 6:54PM

I believe you'll find that, while they might be still listed on the website, they are marked as "unavailable". All 2023-dated QEII coins were withdrawn from sale at the announcement of her death (which is why their website was down for a day or two afterwards). The only one I can see where they're still accepting "pre-orders" is the 2-coin Rabbit set; I suspect these pre-orders will either be cancelled, or orderers will receive a new coin with Charles III's portrait when they are eventually made.

The mint has announced they are committed to not producing, issuing or selling any (further) 2023-dated coins with QEII's portrait.

Some coins (eg. some of the Year of the Rabbit coins) have already sold and shipped prior to her majesty's passing; those will be available from the secondary market but not direct from the Mint. But anything else they've already made but not yet shipped will likely be destroyed, rather than sold.

From the Mint's FAQ page:

FUTURE DATED COINS

Q. Why have some future-dated coins already been released with the former Sovereign’s effigy?

A. It is standard practice for mints to release, in advance, certain collector coins which bear a future year date. This allows the mints to meet market demand. Under this practice, some 2023-dated collector coins have already been released with the Queen’s effigy. No 2023 dated circulating coins bearing the Queen’s effigy will be released.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

My order for 2023 coins with QEII was accepted. We will see if it is filled, cancelled or changed to a Charles III. From what I understand, it likely will be many months before Charles III coins are struck by the mint.

Thanks.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another 2023 QEII coin. I am seriously thinking of purchasing one of these because of the date.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/394241334690?