Home Sports Talk
Options

Drop Kicks

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 19, 2022 12:13PM in Sports Talk

I clearly have too much free time. I have been thinking about strategy. Is there a reason quarterbacks arent taught the drop kick so that down near the goal line teams can go for it on every 4th down and if nothing is open, just drop kick for the 3 points.

I must be missing something or everyone would be doing it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

The drop kick has gone the way of the hit-and-run in MLB.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

were you watching the longest yard? The good version.

I think Doug Flutie did it for an extra point back in 2006. First time since 1941.

Supposedly the football was more of a rounder shape in the early days.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2022 12:18PM

yes, Flutie was the last successful drop kick during his last game. I was watching and had never seen one that I could remember before that and it has always kind of fascinated me. There is also a free kick that is never used anymore. I have never seen one during game action. supposedly, if a punt returner fair catches the kick, the now offensive team can use a free kick for a field goal. it is kicked from a tee and the opposing team cannot rush the kicker like on a normal field goal attempt. seems like a strategy that could be employed when there is little time left in a game and the kicker could get a good run up to the ball with no rush.

its rare, but I have seen kickers split the upright on kickoffs from the 35

• Options

I think I have seen the free kick a few times. Mainly at the end of a half after the other team has scored and gotten an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. They kick off 15 yards farther back and since it was an end to the half and to get better coverage, they kick a high short kick for better defensive coverage. With the fair catch, the free kick becomes an untimed down.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

The last time a kicker actually made a fair catch kick came back in 1976 when Ray Wersching hit one from 45-yards out for the Chargers in a game against the Bills. Since then, kickers have gone 0-for-9, with attempts ranging from 58 to 74 yards.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat O'Dea was the real master of the drop kick. He played at Wisconsin and has earned legendary status for his kicking ability

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    The last time a kicker actually made a fair catch kick came back in 1976 when Ray Wersching hit one from 45-yards out for the Chargers in a game against the Bills. Since then, kickers have gone 0-for-9, with attempts ranging from 58 to 74 yards.

that is interesting. thanks for the research. with kickers seemingly able to hit from further and further out in modern times, I wonder if the free kick may become a bit more popular?

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2022 6:13PM

Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life
    End over end, neither left, nor to right
    Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights
    Drop kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life

Make me oh make me Lord more than I am
    Make me a piece of your master game plan
    Free from the Earthly temptation below
    I've got the will, Lord, if you've got the toe

Bring on the brothers who have gone on before
    And all the sisters who have knocked on your door
    All the departed, dear loved ones of mine
    And stick 'em up front on the offensive line

Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life
    End over end, neither left nor to right
    Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights
    Drop kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life

Yea, drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life
    End over end, neither left, nor the right

GO SUN DEVILS!
    GO BYU!

Long,.....long.....long...ago.......Our Fight Song!

Wonderful Football Memories!
    Gosh!....Those ASU and BYU Cheerleaders Were Hot!!!!!

Angels Sent From Heaven!
    😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵

P.S. The legal age for drinking was18 way back when in Arizona! Including football players...and...even cheerleaders!!!!!!
    What a blast! Belly up to the bar boys!
    🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻