Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help identifying year of Coke/Sprite caps

jefferyadamsjefferyadams Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited September 22, 2022 1:24PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How do you identify what years these caps are from? is there a price guide to see if the Sprite is more rare or common than Coke? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Thank you.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay has a few listings as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some baseball bottle caps. Yours look very nice!

Sprite would logically be harder to find than Coke.

In baseball, there are; Coke, King Coke, Sprite, King size Sprite, Tab, Fresca, Fanta Orange, Fanta Grape and Fanta Root Beer.

There are many variations. I don't think PSA recognizes any. Tab and Fresca come with and without ingredients and some day " dietary" and some day " low calorie".

Fanta Root Beer seems to be nearly impossible to find. Grape and Orange are tough as well.

I have run across a couple of unused caps too.

Not all players appeared on every variation.

Again, I am referring to Baseball only.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I went to every grocery store in town on my stingray bike and emptied the coke machines of the bottle caps when I was a kid. When I turned in the complete set to the local newspaper I was given a NFL football.
    Great memories!!

Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimrad said:
    I went to every grocery store in town on my stingray bike and emptied the coke machines of the bottle caps when I was a kid. When I turned in the complete set to the local newspaper I was given a NFL football.
    Great memories!!

hey jimrad,
    That's cool... :)

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2022 6:51PM

@jefferyadams said:
    How do you identify what years these caps are from? is there a price guide to see if the Sprite is more rare or common than Coke? Thanks.

Sprite is indeed harder than Coke, as others have indicated. Coke is the easiest, then sprite, Tab, and Fresca seem to be grouped together, roughly. Fanta and the others are even tougher.

There were AFL and NFL all star sets that were nationally distributed, as well as team sets that were regionally distributed. Most of the football caps were distributed from 1964-66, though there were 1963 test issues and a few that came out in 1967-68.

Please note that 1966 caps can be found with “big heads” and “small heads,” though PSA doesn’t recognize the variations.

Edit to add: there is one year when the Coke caps say “caramel colored” and that helps differentiate it from the other years. I don’t remember which year is which off the top of my head, but I can check my notes.

If you need more information, like checklists, the Beckett big book referenced above is a good start. If that’s not sufficient, you can always send me a PM. I’d be happy to help.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most pictures deleted: that is one well-loved book.

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@DBesse27 I found a bucket full of carps at a local estate sale. These are a little out of my area but I couldn’t pass them up. Looking to find out a ball park value. I spent $100. I had a few copies as well. I assume that the Aaron Sprite King Size is a little harder to find? Thank you.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2023 11:52AM

The King Size are a bit harder to find.

Those Fanta caps are, in my experience the hardest to find. Root Beer seem to be the toughest.

I have never seen a Sprite King Size although some types were not used for the player (Killebrew) I collect.

That Aaron could be a big $ item!!!!!

That Tab cap looks like a variation (PSA doesn't recognize all the variations, of course) here's what seems to be the "standard" Tab cap

Pete Rose bottlecaps can be worth a LOT.

I think baseball were issued in 1967 & 1968, the Minnesota Twins had one set each year and there were American and National league All Star Caps and I think MLB All Star Caps too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai i appreciate the information. I found another bag that fell on my floorboard of my truck. It had a few more Hank Aaron caps including a Tab King Size. Can’t find much on that either.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2023 4:36PM

^That Tab King Size is great!
    I have almost every Killebrew variation I could find, but no King Tab either!
    SWEET!

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Amazing find. Please do not try to "clean" these up.

• Options

I went back to the sale and bought the rest. I picked up about 150 caps for 150$ total. I am still trying to sort through them all. They are all Braves and All Star Caps. With a variety of bottle Capps. I can tell that they were at one time glued to one of those collectors sheets.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@shawther said:
    I went back to the sale and bought the rest. I picked up about 150 caps for 150$ total. I am still trying to sort through them all. They are all Braves and All Star Caps. With a variety of bottle Capps. I can tell that they were at one time glued to one of those collectors sheets.

Any Carew?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

Any Carew?

I did not see and Carew. I believe they are all NL All Stars and Braves. I tried to separate them by the type of cap first, then by I’ll probably keep a set of the Braves and All Stars and maybe the Sprit King Size Aaron and Tabs King Size Aaron and get rid of the rest. I am trying to find a set checklist to see if I even have a full set(s) in the Coke King. These are fun now that I beginning to learn more about them.

• Options

There's a lot of variations, some of the Tab and Fresca caps say "dietary", "low calorie", and some say "artificially sweetened" the Tab logos themselves are sometimes different as well. PSA doesn't recognize these variations, but you might want to save one of each if you want a "complete" set.
    Pictured is a Coke cap with a West Virginia tax logo on it, these are hard to find too.
    These are really fun and generally inexpensive to collect. Have fun!