Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coins from unknown country?

Could anyone tell me what country made these coins so I can research them. I picked them up today at a yard sale.

Thanks.

Gary

PS: I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Comments

• Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

Thailand. I’m not near my Krause catalogue, but I think there’re pretty recent.

• Options

@gscoins said:
    Thailand. I’m not near my Krause catalogue, but I think there're pretty recent.

Thanks gscoins. At least I know where to start.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are both 25 satang, or quarter-baht, coins.

The bigger one is older; it is dated Year 2500 of the Thai Buddhist era, which equates to AD 1957, however, these coins with the "2500" date were struck from 1957 all the way up to 1987, with the date "frozen" at 2500, so it's impossible to tell which actual year your coin was struck. The coin comes in plain-edge and reeded-edge varieties; I believe the plain edge are generally more recent.

The second coin is dated 2531, or AD 1988.

Both coins are still legal tender, though the government doesn't still issue the 25 satang denomination for general circulation through the banks, government agencies will still give them out in "change" when you pay your bills in cash. The theoretical exchange rate of the face value is 3/5ths of a US cent.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:

The theoretical exchange rate of the face value is 3/5ths of a US cent.

So, how'd you do?

• Options

I got them in a group of coins and medals/tokens. Including a US 3 cent coin.

Sorry for the crappy pictures I had to use my phone.

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

I like that 3c.