Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1966 Great Britain Halfpennny - in Aluminum

Not exactly a rare date, but try finding it on aluminum. Although labeled an error may have been a trial testing feasibility of aluminum as a GB coin alloy:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what is best answer is for what happened here or what this represents. If it is a foreign planchet... which clearly seems plausible... can the denomination and country be identified? I suspect the Royal Mint had contracts for countries outside the Commonwealth which may have utilized this planchet.

I see it as equally plausible that this is a trial strike and not an error

Regardless... great coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the compliment on this one - gotten in an Heritage auction a couple of years ago.

Yes, all speculation. However this was from an era where great "sport" was undertaken at the Royal Mint. But there was also the early stage planning for the conversion to decimal coinage. There are a number of off metal strikes in the halfpenny and penny series from this time period and I also have CuNi examples of 1960 and 1965 halfpennies as well as a 1970 trial halfpenny that is struck from currency dies with "TRIAL" in field.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool. 👍