Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Solved

QwertyuiopgsggsQwertyuiopgsggs Posts: 89
edited November 28, 2022 5:21AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does this silver coin look real to you guys?

Comments

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems fine to me.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • I don't know. What's it meant to be exactly? What's the weight? The metal looks very dull. The artistry isn't sharp. But I don't collect these and there may be a lot of variants. I don't remember seeing any where Zeus doesn't have a chair and the bird is huge. Or with Alexander written in front of him. It may even be an ancient imitation.

The problem is, these are very widely faked. I wouldn't buy one if I even had to ask.

• @JohnConduitt
    The seller have 3 coins that are in amazing condition in his selling page, he says that it is 100% authentic. He also sells a bunch of quite frankly unbelievable ancient items, from Mesopotamia 3000 BC to Rome.
    Here is the link for his Ebay page: https://ebay.com/usr/gobrelle

• Ok yes gobrelle is selling $5000 Mesopotamian tablets from a $0 starting price. They already have feedback about a fake coin.

Also compare the way Athena's nose on this real coin is cut off at the edge http://www.ancientresource.com/images/greek/greek_coins/athens/old-style/Athens-tet-CG2681a.jpg

...to one of gobrelle's, where the nose is also cut off but with a rim in the way https://www.ebay.com/itm/304623389184?hash=item46ecf80a00:g:C9MAAOSwUw9iqzGH

• To me it is just so incredibly fishy and suspicious, these coins are in unbelievable condition makes me question what is the odds, but then you look at his other stuff it actually seems very legit. Based on that negative feedback I am actually thinking that one of his auctions didnt do so well and he maybe cancelled it so the buyer left that feedback. Although he is from the UK I also find it odd that none of these coins have been incapsulated by a third party, although third parties dont 100% guarantee authenticity they are pretty reliable. This is the exact reason why I stoped collecting ancients many years ago. It is just such a complicated hobby.

• Really, I would not trust anything from this seller. Which item looks legit?

If you see owls and tremesses that look like that and the alarm bells do not ring, you should wonder how someone is able to sell gold coins in eBay auctions starting at zero. You should also not spend a lot of money on eBay on such coins without knowing what an owl looks like or what a tremmesis looks like.

It also doesn't help that an emperor whose name ends '-SIVS' on both tremesses (i.e. Theodosius) is described as Justin II. The seller doesn't even know what a real one looks like. I see some people are getting burned already.

• I was speaking about the other antiques, I spoke with the seller and he said that he these coins are all authentic and that these are not the best ones he ever had, I asked where does he find such antiques and coins and if he has any way to prove those are real coins. Waiting on a response, I also see that a silver coin with a chariot has been sold already, it was in an auction but you could also make an offer, its either someone made the offer or he closed the auction.

• The thing is, an honest dealer and a fraudster would say the same thing. What else could they say? It's not more believable because he says that.

This is one of his Justin II tremisses

Note the obverse legend. If he's been collecting for 20 years, he would be able to read Roman legends and know he had the wrong emperor. (Twice, so it isn't just a typo).

This is a Justin II tremissis from CGB

This is a Theodosius tremissis from CGB

I would be rather more confident buying from CGB. His look rather silvery with very smudged and flattened lettering.

Note tremesses are thin coins (0.5mm), which makes his other tremessis unusual...

The other antiques look just as unlikely. Even if you think they look authentic, look at the prices. Genuine artefacts cost a hundred times as much (or more). There's a Roman legionary helmet currently at £300. Really? If you want authentic artefacts, go to a proper auction, where it will cost a fortune because it's real https://timelineauctions.com/

• @sapyx
    What makes you think it is real?
    I looked everywhere and like john I did not see a single coin that does not have zeus sitting in a chair.
    Do you have links showing this design?

I don't. It "looked fine". It's a drachm of Alexander, and there's dozens of pages of fake Alexander coins on the FORVM fakes database to check; I didn't take the time to check. Sorry.

• @Sapyx So you dont think it is real?
    I won the auction it was in for 50 dollars the seller said it was less than he would like to get. I sent a fee questions and he answered most of them and he also said that if Im not sure and would like to cancel he would be fine with it.

• @JohnConduitt
    Do you have a link to one that you are sure is real for sale? I couldnt find anything except ones listed for well over $500,
    I would like something for about $150, do you think you can help me?

The consensus seems to be that it isn't genuine; I certainly can't find any other examples of a "sitting on pillar" drachm.

I always tend to be a bit more lenient when judging drachms compared with the more common tetradrachms; they're less well-studied.

• @JohnConduitt
    I was just browsing through ebay’s predatory ancient coin prices and look who I found in a different name this time but with the same items: https://www.ebay.com/usr/wkdkaren83
    My guy you was spot on.

• @JohnConduitt
    If that guy added the Holy Grail or the Ark of Covenant to his listings I would not be surprised