Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Importing coins - Any customs duties?

With QEII's passing, and the continuing news coverage of that sad event, I went to the UK mint web site to see what coins are available to the general public. The UK mint carries quite an assortment, even some older coins - think older sovereigns. Some of the mint's offerings are interesting to me but two questions have arisen. First, if one were to buy and import to the US, is there a customs duty on these imports? If so, what amount, percent etc.? Second, is the VAT (value added tax) applicable to US customers? I also looked at the Royal Canadian mint with the same questions. Not sure if the VAT is applicable to Canada.

Has any one purchased offerings directly from the UK, Australian, New Zealand or Canadian mints? What Duty, if any is charged to import to the US? Does the VAT apply? Do these differ depending on metal content, gold, silver, other? (I know I added two additional mints but some of their coins are quite appealing also).

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no duty on coins in the US but if they're shipped by a private, non-government shipper (FedEx, UPS, etc.), there will probably be a brokerage fee.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you both for the information. I was also surprised to see "classic" coins available (think sovereigns from the early 1800's and 1900's) and wondered how they acquired these. Also, some new issues are quite limited in numbers issued and if such a coin/set is desired, believe that it must be ordered upon release. It will be interesting to see if the UK mint issues any new coins commemorating QEII.