Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chops on a 1798 8R

Thought it was cool and that I would share!

Comments

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a curious assortment of raised bumps adjacent to the portrait from the ribbons all around the shoulder. Chops are no guarantee of authenticity and many Charles IV 8 reales were made well after the regal period and sent directly to Asia as bullion coins.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2022 1:54PM

@ilmcoins said:
    Thought it was cool and that I would share!

You should join the chopmark society you will learn a lot. Posted not long ago about how to reach out to them. It is an area of collecting with a lots of fakes you need to talk to long term collectors to help you otherwise it may cost you a whole lot to learn it out for yourself. Some eras are much rarer than other with Mexican chopped coins. And some are very common.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best to learn as much as you can before buying any chopmarked coins. Knowledge is key without it you will fall into many traps in this area of collecting. Some have been at it for decades you should learn from some of them if you can. I am not one of them by the way but know enough you should take this advice seriously if you value your money.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1080938/chopmarked-collectors-club#latest

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL