Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

share a graph from your youth that you obtained yourself

back in 1981, a 9-yr-old galaxy27 politely asked Wilbert Montgomery of Philadelphia Eagles fame to sign his foam ball.............in pink, no less

a couple of mini chunks missing, but still holding up relatively well 40+ years later

Comments

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I have an autographed card of the 1986 WS MVP Ray Knight somewhere in the house.

• judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Went to an NBA exhibition game at Murray State in 1963 between the Boston Celtics and the St. Louis Hawks. Get several autographs in pencil, including Bob Pettit and K.C. Jones. K.C. Jones on first picture at top, Bob Pettit on first picture at bottom and turned upside down, and K.C. Jones again on front cover. It appears I cut someone's autograph out of the front cover. I have lost that cut autograph as the years have gone by, but I think it was Bob Cousy.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 7:35PM

@ArchStanton said:

Sparky Lyle was a hometown hero. Every kid in Reynoldsville had one of these. The fun part is my name isn't Jeremy. He just thought it was. I think this was from around 1981.

Bronze Zoo is a great read!

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@copyboy1 doesn’t get any better than sitting in a Porsche with the real GOAT while he waits on fast food! Awesome story!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    I've told this story in another thread, but I'll drop it here again. Starting in 1980, my dad and I would go to the Niners' training camp in Rocklin. Until about 1984, you could literally stand outside the locker room and walk with the players as they went back to the dorm rooms where they stayed. They'd sign autographs and make small talk along the way. (After the Niners won a second Super Bowl, too many people showed up, so they roped space off for autographs. Most players still would stop to sign.)

These 3 were all signed in person over various years.

Funny note about the Rice autograph. I was old enough to drive myself, so I went on my own with a stack of about 20 Rice rookies. He was signing them as we walked. We got to his Porsche and there were still half or so left to sign. He joked, "How many of these do you have?" And then said "Get in." So I hopped in his Porsche and he signed the remaining ones while waiting in the drive-through at Burger King.

That. Is. Amazing.

What a memory to have! Those cards are phenomenal and getting that auto in person takes the card to such a special level.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

My older cousin, who is a walking baseball encyclopedia, took me to an Orioles/ Mariners game in Baltimore when I was 13. After the game he took me to the tunnel where the visiting team players exited. He pointed out to me each of the Mariners to sign my program. I had no idea who the heck these people were, but my cousin was confident. I got Gaylord Perry, Jim Beattie, Julio Cruz, etc. After a couple of autos, I got cocky. I went off on my own and approached a guy who looked like a player, and he signed my book too. My cousin knowing that this guy was not a player loudly scolded me loudly "No, not him!" and pointed out the real players for me to go after. So apparently, I got a stranger's auto mixed in with all the others. Ahh the memories. Great thread.