Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin price question

A seller is asking $80 for this coin, I understand the holder is home made but I still would like to buy the coin. The seller is asking $80 is it worth it or am I overpaying?

Comments

• @Sapyx
    Could you help me with this post?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't know the answer to your own question then you need to study up on the area before spending any money on it.

Personally, I'd never consider paying $80 for that (I know nothing about it but it does nothing for me.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • @291fifth
    Philistian coin prices are very scattered, so I would like more opinions.
    Im not sure what you mean by your second statement, it does nothing to you??

• It's not an attractive coin, so it would need to be special in some way. But at $80, that doesn't seem likely. Some of these seem to go for thousands of dollars in not much better condition, so I'd want to understand why this one is $80.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Qwertyuiopgsggs said:
    @291fifth
    Philistian coin prices are very scattered, so I would like more opinions.
    Im not sure what you mean by your second statement, it does nothing to you??

It just strikes me as an inferior example of a coin. The obverse looks like little more than a lump.

All glory is fleeting.
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Qwertyuiopgsggs said:
    @Sapyx
    Could you help me with this post?

Sorry, I'm more helpful with "ID this coin" posts, than "is this a fair price" posts. I'm not really up on what people are currently paying for coins right now.

So I can say with reasonable confidence that, as far as I can tell, the coin is genuine and identified properly.

With less confidence, I can say that I'm seeing in CoinArchives some recent sales of similar coins of the same general type, in better condition, go for US$100 to US$150. So I guess US$80 for this piece is reasonable? Personally, I'd rather pay slightly more, and get a coin with a bit more detail in the obverse portrait. But that's just me.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • @Sapyx yes you are right, I would want a coin that can be enjoyed for a long time so I will try to find a better specimen