Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Most unusual coin... Aussie 1919 1d dot// DDOR

The images are obviously from the PCGS photography team. Obverse letter doubling starts at the G of GEORGIVUS and extends through to the I in BRITT. There is doubling on the Reverse as well... two of the three A's in AUSTRALIA are clear

I think this is the first coin I have owned with obvious Obverse and Reverse doubling. This appears to be a discovery coin- I have tried to research this without any success of finding anything. Considering the interest in the 1919 double dot, one would think this would have been flagged decades ago.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

a lovely example and so glad it is in a good state of preserve!

gratz. :smiley:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really pronounced doubling on both sides. It's amazing that no one has sent one in for certification, or perhaps even published about one, in a century. Nice find.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 5:43PM

I think that it's a combination of mechanical/machine doubling, where the dies are loose in the keepers, and die deterioration doubling. It's not a variety, it's an error and a sure keeper. The elements are not double-punched.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not mechanical / machine doubling... the coin has already passed that test.

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2022 2:39PM

The serifs have splits between them on both sides. DDO and DDR from multiple pressings of the punches. Nice coin.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was recognized by PCGS as a DDOR- it has its own number. I suspect PCGS did not want to call this a discovery coin because it would difficult to establish that fact. I believe this is my first coin that I have found with obvious obverse and revers doubling. I see this as one of the most amazing coins I have found even if it is not within the scope of my primary collection... so this was graded as DDOR AU55 - sole example graded by PCGS