Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Advice Requested Please

I am thinking of selling off my Currency collection or trading for 90% Gold and/or Silver. I have allot of circulated stuff from 1928, 1934, 1950's and some uncirculated notes also. I also have about 50 error notes. Some small errors like insufficient ink and misalignment errors, over-inking, wet transferrer, and gutter-fold errors. I also have some nice fold over errors and Mismatched serial numbers, Missing back printing, and some others. Who would you recommend getting in touch with if you did not want to sell it yourself? I know I could get in touch with GC but who would you use?
Thank you in advance,
Mike

MIKE B.

Comments

• Options

The auction houses have a minimum sale price that could limit your options. Your could just use a local coin shop as they will likely provide a price for the lot. The local shops might also trade for bullion.

Good luck!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some common, circulated SC's that no dealers wanted but they did surprisingly well on eBay, considering there is no weight to paper notes the shipping/mailing is on the low end of the USPS cost scale.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2022 4:35PM

I just sold my entire collection. I was given three choices from the buyer. The buyer is well known, honest and knowledgeable about paper money. The buyer travels to approximately 40 Coin and Currency shows annually. My collection consisted of approximately 3,300 notes.

Option 1 - Consign the entire collection to the buyer and as it sells, I will be compensated less an agreed upon amount as a handling charge. This option would take the longest.
    Option 2 - The buyer acts as my agent between myself and the auction house. My collection will be sold at auction with an agreed upon percentage going to the buyer. This would not take as long as consignment.
    Option 3 - Sell the entire collection to the buyer. This option is instantaneous.

I went with option 3. If you’d like more details, @Mike59, just PM me.

As far as selling it to a local B&M coin store, I personally would not recommend that route. They do not have the best reputation for being generous or fair with their offers on paper money.