Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Baseball cap grading/authentication submission

I'm hoping someone here has experience with submission to PSA of items other than cards, bats or gloves. I'm having an awful time trying to figure out how to submit a baseball cap. It's Yadier Molina's 2004 (rookie year), autographed, game-worn, World Series, road cap. He came in as a defensive replacement in Game 1, bottom of the 8th, and had 1 ab in the 9th (pop out). So it's easy to specify exactly when and where this cap was worn. He wore #41 that year, not #4.

Anyway, I bought it from the Cardinals nearly two decades ago now, when nobody really knew who he was. Charity auction. Paid $140. I have the COA from the Cardinals on their letterhead, issued by Cardinals Care (their community foundation), as well as my original donation receipt/item description. The only thing that bothered me in later years in looking over my collection was the "pretty" autograph on the cap. But they were kind enough, not long ago, to show me some early sigs, one as "pretty" as mine and another (signed at the same sitting) with more of the future scrawl, so I'm satisfied. After all, it's their COA backing it. BUT, considering he's a possible (in my eyes, at least, certain) Hall of Famer, I thought it would be sweet to have a PSA certification, too.

There's the problem. It's simple enough to submit a card, or a bat or even a glove. But has anyone submitted something a little off that beaten path? like a cap, or a base, or shinguard maybe? I asked about this some time ago, but the explanation I received wasn't clear. And if you go to the PSA page where you're told how to submit "sports memorabilia," all I see is explanations for bats and gloves. They have a LOT of pages that are supposed to be helpful... but they're not. They all eventually turn to talking specifically about how to handle bats and gloves.

Help! (thanks)

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2022 12:25PM

ETA - just noticed the game-used part of your submission… my answer obviously only applies to the auto auth. Give customer service a ring or send them an email - they should be able to walk you through how to get both sides authenticated in a single sub

Hats are included on the PSA-DNA submission form (Group 1), so I think you just follow the instructions on the form, package it up nice and securely (typically a box in a box), calculate the return shipping as they explain, and send it in.

Jim

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

PSA/DNA is going to put a sticker on it which very well may detract from the piece.....I'd leave it be if it were me.

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I have a game used, autographed Alex Reyes hat from his time in the minor leagues. A handful of years ago, I wanted to do the same thing, get the auto authenticated, and the hat authenticated as GU. I e-mailed customer service, and was told they cannot authenticate the gu aspect of it, just the autograph.

• Options

I appreciate the replies. As to the Group submission form, any idea where that is on the PSA site? I expected something like that under the Professional Sports Memorabilia Authentication section, but all I get are bat or glove forms. Seemed like the obvious place to look... I'll dig some more, but it's just odd not finding it there.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Yep - it’s the normal autograph submission form: https://resources.psacard.com/PSADNA-Autograph-Submission-Form.pdf?v=2022a

There’s a “label placement option” that might allow you to specify no label on the hat if the fee is more than $50. Molina’s auto auth is only $20, so it may not be allowed.

Jim

• Options
    stlcollectingstlcollecting Posts: 3
    edited September 11, 2022 6:57AM

I found it, thank you... it's under autograph authentication. Not much they can do with this item other than do their own autograph authentication and, if I want, grade the condition of the autograph alone. Oh well, all good. I appreciate the input!