Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My first ever reconsideration submission.

Decided to take advantage of the quarterly special and submit my first reconsideration. I really appreciate AU58 sliders - you know the ones I mean. MS63 but with just the smallest amount of cabinet friction on high points. The kind PCGS historically kept squarely in the AU camp while NGC net-graded up to MS61/62. My 15-coin submission was a combination of those 58's, some attractive MS's and a few long shots with the upside of upgrading being too good to pass-up.

Here are the coins and original grades:

And now for the results:

3 out of 4 AU58's upgraded. While I was hoping for a 58+, it appears that PCGS is now following NGC grading standard and assigning low-MS grades to MS coins with cabinet friction. All 3 upgraded to MS 61.

1 out of 3 MS62's upgraded. 1812-HJ (previously in NGC MS63 holder, downgraded at cross-over to 62) went up to 62+.

1 out of 5 MS63's increased by a plus. The 1789 Carlos III is a wonderful coin and well deserved that plus, however I was slightly surprised that the 1785 did not.

1 of the 4 MS64's earned a plus. I've shared the 1819 before and it's head and shoulders above any 1819 I've seen in both PCGS and NGC plastic.

Overall, with a 40% upgrade success, very happy with this experiment.

Comments