Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

What is a reprint of an Obsolete Bank note?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2022 6:31PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

I got a note graded by our hosts and it has that in the description. It has a very low pop too. Pop of 1 and none graded higher.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a Remainder to me.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of plates used for printing notes by American Banknote Co were saved in their archives and they were sold in the 1990s when ABNCo went belly up. They have been used for reprints since then.

As @Steve_in_Tampa has noted in his post, the note in your image appears to be a remainder that was printed contemporaneously to when the note was circulated - it was just never serialed and signed and issued.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2022 2:20PM

It is a reprint on the Greene County Bank. These reprints were in the market before the dispersal of the American Bank Note archives, as some plates were held outside this company and a few used for reprints over the years. The Tradesman's Bank reprints were printed in sheets of $1-$1-$2-$5. Issued low denominations exist but are of a different imprint and series, a year later. I don't know of remainders on this bank.

There are also reprints from this bank that have no mention of the Tradesman's Bank and are not payable there. They are singles of various denominations printed on card, in either black or blue. Below is a blue reprint on card, an original issued $100 note, And an original $5 with Graphic imprint. Tradesman's reprints are from a plate by Peter Maverick.

Most of the reprints from this plate (Tradesman's/Maverick) are marked in tiny, inconspicuous black letters "Reprint" on the back. Look carefully, it's deliberately small and light. Can you find this on your example?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.