Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB rules changes

GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2022 4:22PM in Sports Talk

The competition committee votes tomorrow (Friday) and all of the following are expected to pass.

A 15-second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20-second clock with runners on

Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance

A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and "alert" with eight seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance

Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base, with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass)

Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown

Bases will increase in size from 15 inches squared to 18

The clock I understand. It’s unfortunate, but these games need to speed up.

Two pickoff attempts max per plate appearance. That really changes strategy but if it results in more aggressive baserunning, I’m for it.

One time out per plate appearance. I love it.

No shift. I HATE it. Hate, hate, hate, hate. You’re a major league hitter, learn to hit ‘em where they ain’t. And bunt once in a while if they’re giving it to you. I HATE it.

Bigger bases. Whatever.

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all of them, except for the limit on pickoff attempts. A pickoff attempt is just that, an attempt to pickoff the runner; a play is being made. I don't know how you limit that and not affect the outcome of a game.

Say for instance, you have a runner; maybe one like Rickey Henderson or Lou Brock; one who can really run. All he would have to do is wait for the pitcher to use up his allotted number of pickoff attempts, and then go. This rule change would give a serious advantage to the runner.

If they limit the change to just step-offs; for instance, the pitcher simply stepping off the rubber to take an uncalled "time-out", then yes, I'm all for that; but don't limit the number of actual pickoff attempts.

Steve

• Options

On the shift, here's the problem I have with it:

Say you have a left-handed hitter up, so the 3rd baseman and shortstop both move over to the opposite side of the field. Now, say the pitcher has an outstanding fastball.

By using the shift, and having no defenders on the left side of the field, you are completely removing the fastball on the outer half of the plate from the equation, since that pitch is more likely to be hit to the opposite field. The defense is taking away maybe the pitcher's best pitch.

I agree with you however, that I wish hitters would learn to hit to the opposite field more often, or to bunt; bring back the hitters like Tony Gwynn and Rod Carew!

Steve

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the pitch clock. Saw a minor league game a couple weeks ago with the clock. It made a huge difference in the pace. Things were simply kept moving. Definitely a win.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm no rules on eliminating chronic very bad umpires.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

These type of changes will fundamentally change how the game is played. Ironically, they are intended to "help" the game but will ultimately hurt it by causing long term, older fans to lose interest. Think about all the recent threads comparing players and consider how irrelevant the eras are becoming when compared. MLB is a shadow of what it once was, the beginning of the end, when the dominoes began falling, was inception of the DH rule.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I LOVE the pitch clock.

I HATE removing the shift. idiot hitters just need to learn to hit out of it.

changing the pickoff move could radically change baserunning. the pitch clock could do the same. even if the pitcher has not used up his allotted 2 attempts, when that clock gets down to 2 or 3 seconds, the runner is gone.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like laws, it will come down to enforcement and how much leeway will be given on some changes.

for the record, I think these changes are stupid especially the no shift. Sports are a game of adjustments,

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    I love the pitch clock. Saw a minor league game a couple weeks ago with the clock. It made a huge difference in the pace. Things were simply kept moving. Definitely a win.

Yes, yes,yes.................a thousand times YES! This change alone would be enough.

It also looks like the MLB would like to see more baserunning, so would I, but to change the rules to do it?

Pickoff attempts limited to 2 seems unfair.

Shift should only be able to be used against the top 1 or 2 hitters, not everyone. The shift has been around since Ted Williams' time (earlier?), it was never an issue until the analitics guys decided to shift for every single batter.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

These rules all passed and will go into effect next season. Here are some clarifications:

Regarding the shift, the position of defensive players can be reviewed and, if a defense is deemed illegal, the batting team can choose to accept the outcome of the play or take an automatic ball instead.

Regarding pickoffs, a pitcher can make a third pickoff attempt, but if it's unsuccessful it will be a balk, allowing the runners to move up a base.

Also regarding pickoffs, the number of “disengagements” would reset if a runner advances.

Additionally, teams will be granted an extra mound visit in the ninth inning if they have exhausted their five allotted visits. If a team still has visits remaining, it does not receive an extra one.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TV screens are going to be covered with additional clocks and counters.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

With all this speeding up of the game, when is a fan ever gonna get a toilet break??

• Options
    edited September 9, 2022 6:56PM

@Maywood said:
    With all this speeding up of the game, when is a fan ever gonna get a toilet break??

All these changes are aimed at the younger demographic, i.e., those with shorter attention spans. These folks are also better able to "hold it in" for longer periods, so if the game is shortened enough, the game will be over before they ever even need a toilet break.

MLB doesn't care about us older guys who need a break every-other inning :'( !

Steve

• Options

"The rule is strict: The catcher must be in position when the timer hits 10 seconds, the hitter must be have both feet in the batter's box and be 'alert' at the 8-second mark and the pitcher must start his 'motion to pitch' by the expiration of the clock. A violation by the pitcher is an automatic ball. One by the hitter constitutes an automatic strike."

https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34556355/major-league-baseball-passes-significant-rules-changes-including-pitch-clock-banning-defensive-shifts

Can a violation by the pitcher result in ball four, i.e., a walk?

Can a violation by the batter result in strike three, i.e., an out?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like rule changes like the pickoff attempt one. It's unnatural.

And I understand the need for the pitch clock, but still don't like it. I know that it is being used now for younger players. I feel as though in one generation or so the pitchers will have developed a natural faster pitch pace. I'd leave it at that. Placing time restrictions on the game does it a disservice. We all know that baseball was magical for the way it is untimed.

• Options

@Jack131 said:

Can a violation by the pitcher result in ball four, i.e., a walk?

Can a violation by the batter result in strike three, i.e., an out?

Yes to both. There have been multiple minor league games that have ended because of clock violations of both types.

• Options

@craig44 said:

I HATE removing the shift. idiot hitters just need to learn to hit out of it.

It's a win for the defense to try and hit away from the shift besides being extremely difficult. It's not like you can just choose to hit well-located 99 where you want it.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    The competition committee votes tomorrow (Friday) and all of the following are expected to pass.

A 15-second pitch clock with the bases empty and a 20-second clock with runners on

Two disengagements from the rubber -- including pickoff attempts -- per plate appearance

A requirement by hitters to be in the batter's box and "alert" with eight seconds to go on the clock. Hitters are allowed one timeout per plate appearance

Only two infielders will be allowed on each side of second base, with all four required to be on the dirt (or inner grass)

Infielders cannot position themselves on the outfield grass before the pitch is thrown

Bases will increase in size from 15 inches squared to 18

The clock I understand. It’s unfortunate, but these games need to speed up.

Two pickoff attempts max per plate appearance. That really changes strategy but if it results in more aggressive baserunning, I’m for it.

One time out per plate appearance. I love it.

No shift. I HATE it. Hate, hate, hate, hate. You’re a major league hitter, learn to hit ‘em where they ain’t. And bunt once in a while if they’re giving it to you. I HATE it.

Bigger bases. Whatever.

The best part of the new rules is not allowing the shift and the pitch clock.
    The game will move much faster and we will get more action with more base hits.
    Shifting infielders had deteriorated baseball in the past few years.
    I want to see averages increase to where we have more 300 + batters again and less below the Mendoza line.

• Options

Am I the only one who sees all these rules as a way to fight back against the dominance of pitchers?? It's not much difference than what was done in the 1960's by lowering the height of the pitchers mound to help the hitter and lessen strike-outs. If modern day pitchers are able to throw the ball too fast for hitters to hit, too well located for hitters to hit and with too much movement for hitters to hit then it doesn't make sense to penalize them for it. Tell me, if hitters were smokin' the bean at a .450 clip like a softball game do you think the rules committee would do something to change that?? I doubt it.

The onus to hit a baseball safely is upon the batter. If they can't improve that skill then let someone else try, don't penalize the pitcher for being too good at what he does.

If these changes don't work I see only one alternative --- move the pitchers mound closer to second base.