Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

King Charles III Coins

hvellentehvellente Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2022 11:22AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

The race is on… who will be first to:

1) issue King Charles III coins?

2) issue commems for QEII?

I'm guessing Liberia for both. But I'm sure some mints had dies prepped and waiting for years. Where's the Franklin Mint when you need them?

Comments

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭

Pobjoy must be working on it now

www.brunkauctions.com

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe at one time Prince Charles said he wants to be King George.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

The main delay here is going to be official portrait creation.

Protocol, and common decency, would have prevented the mints from lining up an "official approved portrait" of Charles while the Queen was still alive. And these days, "making an official portrait for coinage" is quite far down the list of priorities for a new monarch taking the throne. I suspect they won't be starting the process for another month, which means I think it highly unlikely that any 2022-dated coins featuring Charles III will be appearing, anywhere.

@ajaan said:
    I believe at one time Prince Charles said he wants to be King George.

I had heard the same - that Charles was free to select whatever regnal name he wished and that he had indicated a preference for "George VII" in the past - but one of the earliest announcements Charles made as King was that he chose to be styled "Charles III".

All 2023-dated coins ought to have the new portrait of Charles III. But if there are delays in getting portraits prepared and approved, then for circulation coins, they will probably keep striking 2022-dated coins with the Queen;s portrait until the new king's portrait is ready to go.

For me, the biggest question about coinage issue during a reign change is: what are the Royal Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Royal Australian Mint and Pert Mint all going to do with all those 2023-dated coins they've already started making, with the Queen's portrait on them? Because if they've been following their standard business practice, these mints would have all started striking 2023-dated coins in July 2022, all with the now-anachronistic portrait.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

@hvellente said:
    Re: protocol and decency - I agree that the Commonwealth mints will wait. But what about private and smaller national mints? Profit over decency? No law seems to prevent them from flooding the market tomorrow with Charles III coinage, and tribute coins to Elizabeth II. So who will go first?

Well, for starters, the Commonwealth doesn't really have any "smaller national mints". There's the Royal Mint in Britain, then the RCM in Canada, the RAM and Perth in Australia, and that's about it. I suppose these days we should be including the South African mint too. But every other Commonwealth country outsources their coin production. The "New Zealand Mint" is a private company that doesn't actually make any New Zealand coinage.

Then there's still the whole "royal portraits need royal approval" thing. Anyone can make commemorative medals as much as they wish, and I suppose mobs like National Collectors Mint can likewise issue their not-entirely-legal-tender quasi-coins as they usually do, but actual proper legal tender "coins" featuring the royal portrait, need an official portrait.

As a general rule, accessions to the throne aren't "celebrated" too heavily when they actually happen, since the event is always tinged with the sadness of the passing of the predecessor. It's more usual to celebrate accessions retrospectively on the anniversary, like the recent celebration of the Queen's 70th anniversary of accession. It's the Coronation that is the big ceremonial celebration of a new king, and that event probably won't be happening for a year or so. Because, again, it's not something they could start planning until now.

So I'd expect to see no "King Charles III" coins until 2023, when we'll see plenty of coronation issues as well as general circulation coins with the new portrait. Meanwhile, I expect we will, indeed, be flooded with "tribute coins" for Elizabeth II for the remainder of 2022.

@hvellente said:
    Also, the Commonwealth mints must have a plan for their 2022/2023 coinage. The queen was 96 so it's no surprise that she died. I expect that they had protocol in place for the change.

Any such "plan" will likely follow the precedent set for 20th century monarch changes: they will continue striking "old" 2022-dated coins, with Elizabeth II's portrait, until the new portrait is ready to go. Even if they have to wait until early 2023. Which means for countries with a desperate need for more circulating coinage, some 2022-dated coins will likely continue to be made into 2023.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how long it'll be for the shop at home TV coin shows to quadruple the prices on anything with the last portrait of QE2 spouting off how it'll be the last time you'll every be able to get a QE2 coin LOL.

• Technically, if there's so much money to be made and being disrespectful isn't an issue, they could already be selling them. More than likely, they will wait for a sensible release date.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charles III has been on medals beginning 1745:

If you consider that the Jacobites had better legitimate claim to the throne, religious objections excepted.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    edited September 13, 2022 7:44PM

@hvellente said:
    So, as has happened before, will they produce 2022-dated coins for the next year or so? Until the new designs are ready? Will the 2022-dated coins produced in calendar year 2023 have a dot or other symbol to mark the transition?

That is the only logical interpretation of those two statements. If the new Charles III portrait isn't ready by Jan 1st 2023 (and it most likely won't be), then Australia will either continue making 2022 coins with the Queen's portrait, or will stop making coins altogether, until the new portrait is ready. Which option they choose, depends on how badly they need new coins for circulation. A small country like New Zealand can probably afford to skip an entire year's coin production and not be struck down by a coin shortage, but I think Australia's cash economy is too big for that to happen here; we'll most likely need some coins in early 2023 before the portrait is ready, so we'll probably strike them with 2022 dates.

And unlike Canada, Australia has never seen the need to especially privy-mark coins that were struck with a "false year". We've done it numerous times in the past, including 1937 and 1952. The whole point, after all, is to "pretend" that all the 2022-dated coins must have been struck during the queen's lifetime, and a privy mark reduces that ability to suspend disbelief. So I highly doubt that 2023-minted coins will be physically any different to the 2022-minted coins.

I think it likely that the mints will put pressure to expedite the process of issuing coins with the new portrait, once it is approved. Especially since their 2023 NCLT coin programme has ground to a halt and can't resume until they get the new portrait. Unlike the previous portrait changes during Elizabeth II's reign, they can't simply make do with using the old portrait for a few years (for example, British coins started showing the Jody Clark portrait in 2015; Australia didn't start using it until 2018).

• Here is the model of a future coin with the effigy of King Charles III.
    The reliefs are very realistic.

@rhubarbe said:
    Here is the model of a future coin with the effigy of King Charles III.
    The reliefs are very realistic.

The question in my mind would be, on coins from Britain and Canada where they still use fully Latin obverse inscriptions: wouldn't it be "CAROLVS III" rather than "CHARLES III"? "Elizabeth" doesn't change when it's converted to Latin, but "Charles" does.

• pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2022 5:10PM

Y'all get that the coin is a joke about Charles' big ears, right?

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they might have to use elongated coins...

@pendragon1998 said:
    Y'all get that the coin is a joke about Charles' big ears, right?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭✭

I got the joke about Charles' big ears right away! :) Surprised nobody picked-up on the fact that the portrait should be facing the opposite direction, however, as it traditionally alternates from side to side with each successive monarch. Thanks for the comic "relief"!

Well, I'm surprised; they've picked an official Charles III coinage portrait already.

Royal Mint press release.

And they've chosen not to Latinize his name.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image of Charles looks good, time to make some money!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2022 7:35PM

the queen was on coinage my entire life - almost looks like Roosevelt dime

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    the queen was on coinage my entire life - almost looks like Roosevelt dime

Charles is ten-years older than Roosevelt was when Roosevelt died. Wow!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I will be interested to see how the unlimited mintage of the Charles III coin works for RM sales. I cut back my purchases since there was limited chance of appreciation and just grabbed one of each. Did others do the same?

It makes a nice opportunity for collectors to obtain coins without dealing through third party sellers. I’m pretty sure this was a one time experiment for the new monarch with future sales of coins to go back to limited mintage

• tahbb143tahbb143 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    I will be interested to see how the unlimited mintage of the Charles III coin works for RM sales. I cut back my purchases since there was limited chance of appreciation and just grabbed one of each. Did others do the same?

It makes a nice opportunity for collectors to obtain coins without dealing through third party sellers. I’m pretty sure this was a one time experiment for the new monarch with future sales of coins to go back to limited mintage

I grabbed one of each base metal, one each of the silver proofs, and one each of the piedfort silver proofs

was also lucky enough to snag one of the 10 oz silver proofs [1000 mintage]

picked up the 26/22 commem bu set and wanted one of the silver proof sets but waffled until they were sold out - oh well

very excited to see final mintages - maybe we'll see those end of January when shipping starts?

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Did you jump in on the sovereigns? I bought a couple singles and the three coin set - really impressed with the RM designs

• tahbb143tahbb143 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    Did you jump in on the sovereigns? I bought a couple singles and the three coin set - really impressed with the RM designs

did not - have never been much of a sovereign collector although I really do like the 2022 commem sov design