Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Obsolete note

Can someone help me out who is knowledgeable on rare obsolete notes? I'm looking for condition and value opinion as well as where to safely send it out

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Santa Clause note. I love it and would guess it would grade a 4 or 6 with notations about splits and missing pieces. I would submit it to our hosts at PCGS or to PMG. Even in this condition, this could sell for over $1,000 when authenticated. Where did you get it ?

• Options
    rodeo514rodeo514 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Thanks I was thinking PMG but wasnt sure who Id trust with it-

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree with Steve, it's a good one. It's one of the more available Santas but it's also genuine. Boston and Troy, NY are also somewhat available, but as counterfeits. Notes on this bank were well circulated, so the grade isn't surprising and problem-free VFs are worth $2000+. Yes, $1000 is a fair guess, but I prefer a much wider target, like $500-$1500.

I have no idea who is more trustworthy with a delicate little treasure, like this. The missing edge pieces do suggest that it's at least somewhat brittle. Normally, I wouldn't hesitate to unfold the edges and corners before submitting but I'm not sure how brave I'd be with this one. Linen paper is pretty forgiving but can get brittle. Surprisingly, it usually remains supple and pliable for years. If it's brittle, don't mess with it at all.

A TPG holder would offer this item much needed protection.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many days til Christmas? Nice. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

It's on its way home
    I'll be excited to share it with you all

• Options
    edited October 3, 2022 9:44AM

It's back from Sarasota! Right before the hurricane! What do you think?
    Here it is

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did good to get it into plastic and at that grade.

I am wondering about that attribution on the back of the label...

In any case, it's all graded and holdered, ready to keep or sell. :)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Santa kinda looks like Long John Silver. Safe to view and handle. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

Santa Claus notes are always in high demand and this one is a classic. It looks much safer now that it's slabbed.

Fyi, this note was the subject of an ABNC souvenir card (with a red seal). Here's what it looks like in pristine shape:
    souvenircards.org/gallery/SO/pics/SO-33.jpg

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options

Very nice. I've had it up on ebay - its waiting for anew home

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmg is good 👍, good luck with it

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that you are asking too much based on the fact that there are nicer examples available, even though prices are higher. Most collectors will only buy lower grade notes when nicer ones are unavailable. However, it only takes one buyer to find this one a home.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.