Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

NEVER SEEN 3 DIGIT MISMATCHED SERIAL NUMBER NEW REVERSE IMAGE ADDED

VernoVerno Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2022 5:17PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Picked up this mismatched serial number note and wanted to know what dealers in this item would think value is/should be.
Do I need to send it for grading? Note has fold that makes it look "cut and pasted" but is not as far as I can tell.
Thanks for taking a look! RJ

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one heck of mismatch - three numbers!

No idea on value.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

A way cool pickup, wtg

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2022 9:42AM

Showed this one before, one of my favorite notes. I just love to look at it..its a sleeper. Probably circulated in the early 60's :)

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options

@Verno said:
    Picked up this mismatched serial number note and wanted to know what dealers in this item would think value is/should be.
    Do I need to send it for grading? Note has fold that makes it look "cut and pasted" but is not as far as I can tell.

Great three digit mismatch. At least $800.

Rare Nationals &

braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 4:49AM

WOW beautiful Error. I have 2 Raw AU Silver Certificates that have 1 digit mismatched and they cost me over $400 each 15 years ago. I would have paid $1000 for that note raw. TPG mismatched 3 digit in the right auction think it could be worth a few thousands.
    Mike

MIKE B.

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭

Wow nice pick up!!!

I have question about mismatched notes.

If that not is mismatched, what are the chances that the next number(s) are mismatched too?

• Options
    edited September 6, 2022 3:56PM

@luckyrollers said:
    Wow nice pick up!!!

I have question about mismatched notes.

If that not is mismatched, what are the chances that the next number(s) are mismatched too?

From what i know, its usually a small bulk. My Richmond mismatch has about 5-6 known, a serial range of about 400 notes. So all 400 were mismatches, very few survivors...but its usually a small bulk

Same goes for inverted backs, inverted overprints. I have a 1935e inverted back star with a range of about 300 notes. 3-4 are known.

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 4:26PM

@Verno said:

RJ can u post a picture of the back of note.

MIKE B.

• Options

I've never seen a three number mismatch. I have a two number mismatch that I paid $550.00. It is uncirculated and graded though. If genuine, that note is easily $1500.00. AC

• Options

Thanks for comments and value guesses...Verno!

• Options

Private Message sent.

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I think the estimates are a bit high on your circulated notes; I'd guess closer to $600. Here's a note I purchased at Heritage; it was the only 3-digit mismatch from a run of mismatched numbers on the first $1 FRNs (Series 1963).

• Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2022 9:20PM

It is hard for me to understand how this mismatch came to be. It is much more interesting than 899/900 mismatch. I would have it examined by a grading company and certified so that there is a guarantee against it being two half notes put together.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beryl said:
    I would have it examined by a grading company and certified so that there is a guarantee against it being two half notes put together.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the $10 note in F-15 and not the modern, uncirculated $1 notes.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

@beryl said:
    I would have it examined by a grading company and certified so that there is a guarantee against it being two half notes put together.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the $10 note in F-15 and not the modern, uncirculated $1 notes.

Wondering the same. There are now (6) known for the 1950D $10 110/111 mismatch.

Rare Nationals &

• Options

Getting graded as we speak, authentication / grade should pop any day

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

There all nice pick ups

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    StockCryptographer3StockCryptographer3 Posts: 7
    edited January 6, 2023 4:58AM

@beryl said:
    It is hard for me to understand how this mismatch came to be. It is much more interesting than 899/900 mismatch. I would have it examined by a grading company and certified so that there is a guarantee against it being two half notes put together.

The way I understand it, each plate position on a 50-subject sheet is 100 serials higher than the previous plate position. So at the end of the mini-run of 100 sheets, 5000 notes would have been printed. I assume at this point, the serials for each plate position advance to a number 4,900 higher than the previous number. I would think this happens automatically but it appears the right-hand serial did not advance 4,900 numbers, but only 1.

Now is a note ending in 00 the first note printed in the mini run of 100 sheets, or the last? My gut is telling me it's the first since it ends up at the bottom of the strap. If this is the case, that doesn't quite help with figuring out population for this particular mismatch. I wonder if these mismatches occur more frequently since the switch to 50-subject sheets, but since the population of each error is so tiny (100?), they're very hard to come by.

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before the overprinting of the serial numbers, the BEP determines the print run size. Then the serial numbering heads are set to the highest serial number and the printing counts backwards, from the highest to the lowest serial number. The lowest serial number is printed last, so it ends up on top.

• Options

Here are my two mismatched numbers. One is a two digit, the other a four digit. I love both. Don't know if I will get a three digit

• Options

Sorry the two digit didn't come through. But the four digit did. I couldn't get the picture to take sideways though!!!! Ac

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

My next question is, which serial number is the correct one? :p

• Options

What makes me so curious about this error is that the mismatch is in the middle of the serial. Typically they're at the start or the end.

I'm excited to see how this comes back from grading.