Home Q & A Forum

PVC damage or Not ?

Mike59Mike59 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

I am building a year set of Pre-1933 Double Eagles and allot of coins that I see have a greenish areas or haze on them. More so in slabbed coins than in Raw gold. Is it PVC from their old holders? Most of the coins I was buying was from a LCS that was not stocking Double Eagles over MS-63 because owner said they didnt sell as fast enough . The store was stocking mostly XF thru MS-62 . Now I just starting to buying some coins from GC. I have woken-up to quality over quantity. Many of the coins that are MS-64 and higher seem to have more of that greenish substance on them. Maybe its because the better the coin condition the more the substance sticks out but im not sure.
Thanks,
Mike

MIKE B.

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I wouldn't rule it out, I would be surprised to see more than a small number of slabbed coins (all coins inc. DEs). I would expect the possibility of PVC damage/Residue to be more prevalent on raw coins due to storage methods and PVC flips, not less as per your observation. Remember, the TPGs won't slab anything that they feel has active PVC residue.

Pics would be helpful

Just my opinion as I have no hard data.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Mike59Mike59 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

TY, I haven’t bought any that seem have it on them. I just don’t have allot of experience with higher grade double eagles. Maybe it’s showdowns but if I see it I won’t buy it..

MIKE B.