Home Sports Talk

Reports: Jazz trade Donovan Mitchell to Cavaliers

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Utah Jazz have traded star guard Donovan Mitchell to the Cleveland Cavaliers, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The Cavaliers will send multiple players, first-round picks and pick swaps in return.

Cavaliers receive:

Donovan Mitchell
Jazz receive:

Collin Sexton
Lauri Markkanen
Ochair Agbaji
Three unprotected first-round picks
Two pick swaps

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

25+ points in 33 minutes per game the last 2 years. But sad to see Markkanen go.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1077929/garland-cavaliers-agree-to-5-year-193-million-extension#latest

@erikthredd said:
    Utah guard Donovan Mitchell is one of the names out there right now thought to be maybe be available,pairing him & Garland with those two bigs would make for a formidable core. Utah just got four firsts and a handful of JAGs for Rudy Gobert,the Cavs could offer better players with similar level draft picks providing they sent some unprotected.

Do I get partial credit for predicting this one close to two months ago? 😎😎😎
    Great trade for the Cavs! Love seeing them push their chips all in and go all out. I think the best part about this trade is they didn't have to include their 2023 or 2024 first round picks.

edited September 1, 2022 2:19PM

@Steven59 said:
    25+ points in 33 minutes per game the last 2 years. But sad to see Markkanen go.

He's capable of going for 40 on any given night. The only real complaint about his game is his defense but he just went from Rudy Gobert covering for him in the paint to now having Jarrett Allen,Evan Mobley & Isaac Okoro instead. I may have to tune into some Cavs games this year, they're going to to be fun to watch especially when Rubio gets back.

@erikthredd said:

He's capable of going for 40 on any given night. The only real complaint about his game is his defense but he just went from Rudy Gobert covering for him in the paint to now having Jarrett Allen,Evan Mobley & Isaac Okoro instead. I may have to tune into some Cavs games this year, they're going to to be fun to watch especially when Rubio gets back.

BUT, I wonder if Darius Garland will change his game to accomidate? Garland put the team on his shoulders last year and almost made it to the playoffs BUT too many injuries at the end of the season.

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

BUT, I wonder if Darius Garland will change his game to accomidate? Garland put the team on his shoulders last year and almost made it to the playoffs BUT too many injuries at the end of the season.

I think Garland & Mitchell will find a way to coexist on offense, Its not like the Cavs are loaded with scorers so both players should see their fair share of shots. I still think they could use a starting legit 3&D wing but you now have three young All-Stars plus Evan Mobley who could end up being the best of the bunch, all locked up for the foreseeable future. They also have a solid vet bench in Osman,Love,Levert & Rubio.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for my Blazers and Lillard.............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

@spacehayduke said:

Unless of course they run up against the Cavs in the finals - :)

@Steven59 said:

@spacehayduke said:

Yup, that's gonna happen............... :D

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

@spacehayduke said:

@Steven59 said:

@spacehayduke said:

True, Blazers don't have a chance......

@Steven59 said:

True, Blazers don't have a chance......

Better chance than Cleveland..........

Seeing this is actually a Cavs related thread.............

At least the Cavs can now comment on this as it's "Official" . Before now ,anybody associated with the Cavs could not mention anything about this when trying to be interviewed.

"Cleveland Cavaliers officially announce trade for All-Star G Donovan Mitchell"

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the playoffs, and after, and recently, I have taken the time to read through discussions and comments by Jazz fans. And I can say with total certainty (famous last words, lol) that the Jazz made a big mistake trading Gobert. They should have traded Mitchell for a good haul and kept chugging along. Mitchell was checked out on the team and the city. Gobert was not. The Jazz are a pretty unique entity. A lot of factors at play.

Just my opinion...

@thisistheshow said:
    During the playoffs, and after, and recently, I have taken the time to read through discussions and comments by Jazz fans. And I can say with total certainty (famous last words, lol) that the Jazz made a big mistake trading Gobert. They should have traded Mitchell for a good haul and kept chugging along. Mitchell was checked out on the team and the city. Gobert was not. The Jazz are a pretty unique entity. A lot of factors at play.

Just my opinion...

The Jazz have been a pretty good regular season team in recent years but the way that they played defense centered around Gobert wasn't conducive to winning in the playoffs. Some of that obviously falls on Mitchell along with Bogdanovic,Clarkson & Ingles (players that got the bulk of the minutes in recent years) for being average defenders at best but its hard to funnel the opposing team's offense towards your 3xDPOY in the paint when most offenses are perimeter based as it is.

In regards to keeping Gobert instead,you can't win in the NBA these days with a team built around a dominant center, just look at Philly w/Embiid and Denver w/Jokic. Great stats and plenty of awards but their teams really haven't been considered as a legit title contender by most rational fans.

Gobert is due to make 38M/41M/43M/46M over the next four seasons and for what he gives you on the court that seems like an extreme overpay. For a team like Utah where he was a top 2 player that just seemed like a bad fit but now with the Wolves he'll be the #3 guy. The Wolves were desperate to take that next step so giving up that package for Rudy made sense and Utah got a haul.

I actually like what Ainge & the Jazz have done this offseason. As-is that team was a second round exit at best with this core and the owner/front office has always been competent enough to keep them in the playoffs so either changes needed to be made or they'd just keep chugging along as they've been. Its not like they would have tried adding a 3rd star when their top 2 really didn't get along so they decided to blow it all up. Mitchell while still signed for 4 more years would have likely asked out at some point so moving him now paid off for them.

The Jazz now own 12 first round picks over the next seven drafts including three chances to swap for a higher pick. They also have tradeable assets in Bogdanovic,Clarkson,Gay,Conley,Beasley,Markennen,Sexton & Vanderbilt. For a franchise looking to start over from scratch they made a great choice by handing over the rebuild reins to Trader Danny.

@erikthredd said:

Gobert is due to make 38M/41M/43M/46M over the next four seasons and for what he gives you on the court that seems like an extreme overpay. For a team like Utah where he was a top 2 player that just seemed like a bad fit but now with the Wolves he'll be the #3 guy. The Wolves were desperate to take that next step so giving up that package for Rudy made sense and Utah got a haul.

Alot of heavily overpaid NBA players so...........

I actually like what Ainge & the Jazz have done this offseason. As-is that team was a second round exit at best with this core and the owner/front office has always been competent enough to keep them in the playoffs so either changes needed to be made or they'd just keep chugging along as they've been. Its not like they would have tried adding a 3rd star when their top 2 really didn't get along so they decided to blow it all up. Mitchell while still signed for 4 more years would have likely asked out at some point so moving him now paid off for them.

Ainge is smart, he will make the Jazz better bc that is what he does.

The Jazz now own 12 first round picks over the next seven drafts including three chances to swap for a higher pick. They also have tradeable assets in Bogdanovic,Clarkson,Gay,Conley,Beasley,Markennen,Sexton & Vanderbilt. For a franchise looking to start over from scratch they made a great choice by handing over the rebuild reins to Trader Danny.

Agree. I just wish Ainge had gone home to PDX instead.

@spacehayduke said:

Agree. I just wish Ainge had gone home to PDX instead.

That's tough because I think the Blazers are in an entirely different situation than the Jazz though. Utah was looking to break it all down and start over where Portland extended Dame's contract further out and have tried to retool around him over the past year by adding Grant,Hart & Payton Jr. I can see where Ainge preferred starting over because they basically gave him complete control over everything. Say what you will about Danny Ainge but when he's in that situation there aren't many better in that position.
    I admit that I don't know the full story about what's been going on in Portland but from what I've read from Blazers fans in recent years is that the owner (or maybe it was the GM/President of Operations) hasn't been well liked and the fans are kind of stuck in limbo wondering when the team will get better again. A situation like that might not have been appealling to a guy looking to come in and blow it all up like Ainge,imo.

@spacehayduke a quick sidenote on Lillard, kudos to him for wanting to stay in a place that he loves and hopefully sees the team turn it around in the near future but if he ever decides to ask for a trade elsewhere the Blazers are going to have a hardtime finding a taker. He's 32 now and is due to make 42/45/48/58!/63! over the length of his extension, if he slows down at all he may end up viewed like Russell Westbrook & John Wall have lately where the money won't be worth the production. Hopefully that won't be the case,you won't find more NBA players as likely as Dame Lillard. I'd hate to see his career end like that.

@Steven59 How has the trade been viewed in Cleveland? I had lurked here https://www.fearthesword.com/ in the first couple days after the trade and it was mostly viewed as positive with some mixed emotions. I think once people see what type of lineups the Cavs can throw out there opinions may change.
    If you want offense you could run: Mitchell,Garland,Love(or Levert),Mobley & Allen
    if you want defense you could switch out Love/Levert for Okoro
    If you want to run once Rubio gets back: Rubio,Mitchell,Garland,Mobley & Allen

You know the GM will still be looking to add to the team as well.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Just my opinion...

The Jazz have been a pretty good regular season team in recent years but the way that they played defense centered around Gobert wasn't conducive to winning in the playoffs. Some of that obviously falls on Mitchell along with Bogdanovic,Clarkson & Ingles (players that got the bulk of the minutes in recent years) for being average defenders at best but its hard to funnel the opposing team's offense towards your 3xDPOY in the paint when most offenses are perimeter based as it is.

In regards to keeping Gobert instead,you can't win in the NBA these days with a team built around a dominant center, just look at Philly w/Embiid and Denver w/Jokic. Great stats and plenty of awards but their teams really haven't been considered as a legit title contender by most rational fans.

When I said that they should have kept Gobert, I should have been more specific. I lurked on Jazz discussions during and after the playoffs. I got an appreciation for the team's situation and it seems to be rather unique. I was writing that actually in terms of what would make the fans happiest. And also thinking of after the season, having to break up the team, which star to trade. I realize that what they got for Gobert, combined with what you wrote about his fit on a winning team, makes the trade a definite slam-dunk. Jazz fans seemed rather content to move forward with Gobert. They also knew that Mitchell had checked out on them.

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Just my opinion...

When I said that they should have kept Gobert, I should have been more specific. I lurked on Jazz discussions during and after the playoffs. I got an appreciation for the team's situation and it seems to be rather unique. I was writing that actually in terms of what would make the fans happiest. And also thinking of after the season, having to break up the team, which star to trade. I realize that what they got for Gobert, combined with what you wrote about his fit on a winning team, makes the trade a definite slam-dunk. Jazz fans seemed rather content to move forward with Gobert. They also knew that Mitchell had checked out on them.

I'm sure that having the Knicks front office attending the Jazz home playoff games left an extra bad taste in fan's mouths towards Mitchell as well. In this current NBA era with a guy like Gobert as your highest paid player just caps out how good your team can be,imo.I do think he's in a much better situation with the Wolves though. He's currently their highest paid player but MINN didn't care about the money when they wanted to add that third star. Anthony Edwards is due to get paid a Max deal soon but D'Angelo Russell's money comes off the books by then. The Wolves might have some cap issues 3-4 years down the road though when Gobert is making 50M(😱), KaT 40m and Edwards 30M+ but the new NBA TV deal should kick in by then and raise the salary cap significantly.

@spacehayduke said:

@erikthredd said:
    @Steven59 How has the trade been viewed in Cleveland?

Nothing could have been said by anybody In/on the Cavs payroll due to leage rules that unless the trade is confirmed by the NBA no opinions are allowed to be mentioned . Now that it is finally confirmed it should be interesting to hear from people "In the know". I'll let you you know when I hear of them

What a game by Donovan Mitchell!
    71points
    11assists
    8rebounds
    7-15 from three
    20-25 FTs
    He was in some rarefied air tonight.

@erikthredd

71 is amazing - BUT, good thing Osman got 19.

@Steven59 said:
    @erikthredd

71 is amazing - BUT, good thing Osman got 19.

I didn't actually watch the game just saw the recap, was Cedi's points really needed? I did read that it went into OT.

@erikthredd said:

was Cedi's points really needed? I did read that it went into OT.

I'm a guessing - Allen got his 21, Love got 12, And of course the 71, but now add on Cedi's 19 - that works......
    And yes, OT, - Good Guys win! :)

TEAM Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 OT1 FINAL
    CHI 34 31 31 34 4 134
    CLE 27 20 44 39 15 145

I just watched the highlights and then checked out the play by play to see how many points the Cavs scored off of his 11 assists. His offense tonight accounted for 28pts off of 11 assists on top of his 71 for a total of 99pts scored which is absolutely insane.

edited January 4, 2023 7:54PM

Go figure.........Mitchell "Only" 20 points tonight but Bick puts in Neto for 22 minutes for 14 points - that's the game changer.

Cavs 90 - Suns 88

Donavon tonight against UTAH - will he get 30+ ?