Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

After 6-8 weeks in customs, my long-awaited 20 Pfennig proof has arrived

neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2022 4:06PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have been slowly trying to build a German Empire minor coin type set in proof as one of several projects over the last few years. I have gotten down to the fairly difficult coins, which happens less than halfway through. I would only count 6 or 7 of the 18 pre-war coins as being easy to obtain.

This latest additon competes with the 50 Pfennig as being the toughest of the later, large eagle types in proof. It is the large eagle version of the copper-nickel 20 pfennig coin. It is probably the rarest type coin in business strike of the kaiserreich coins. It is cheaper than the large eagle 50 pfennig, but I think that may only be because the 50 is silver and slightly more popular. I only see 1-2 coins of this type come up for sale per year at auction. If you want to get one without having to wait a long time, then you have to go for it. I hadn't really been ready to play ball on the last few I saw but I was game for this one.

Some photos are below. It's a fairly attractive proof, with some cameo present. I don't know if it would grade as CAM or not at PCGS. There is a little bit of a wood grain effect due to poorly mixed alloy which gives it a little character. There are a couple very difficult to see hairlines and a small number of small contact marks which makes me say it's a PR64. The photos show some dots and breaks in the fields. A lot of that appears to be as-struck from imperfections in the planchet or small spots of oxidation. Spotting in general is a problem on this type. The fact that it doesn't have any bad spotting and is in gradeable condition puts it in the top half of the examples out there.

I don't know how many proofs exist of this type. I'm fairly confident it's under 100, and I am somewhat confident it's under 50.

This will likely go to PCGS at some point, where there are currently 0 graded. There are 5 of the type graded at NGC.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Comments