Home Sports Talk

Business just picked up

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark this one down on your calendar, Panthers vs Browns, the drama factor just exploded.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Myles Garrett has responded.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baker is a good hype man. I hope he can cash that check. I would like to see your Panthers have a great year.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 4:15AM

Honestly I hope the Browns win, just for the sole reason of enjoying watching a tattered looking Baker Mayfield at the after game press conference addressing these comments to the media 🤣🤣🤣

No offense DD 🍻

He should remember... don't talk about it, be about it

@perkdog said:
    Honestly I hope the Browns win, just for the sole reason of enjoying watching a tattered looking Baker Mayfield at the after game press conference addressing these comments to the media 🤣🤣🤣

No offense DD 🍻

I'm not offended, if we win great, but if we lose I just hope Baker will entertain us after the game!

I can't wait to play the Saints, I think they have Andy Dalton, dude reminds me of the bully from A Christmas Story.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Mark this one down on your calendar, Panthers vs Browns, the drama factor just exploded.

Why would you say this out loud Baker? That Browns defense is going to tee off on him all game lol. At best,Baker backs up his claim, at worst, Myle pulls off Baker's helmet and smacks him around with it. B)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

f them up? kinda like this? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkrwHhn2i6o

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

His comment really doesn't surprise me too much, he was a fiery competitor in college and he had a tendency to step over the line, like when he taunted the opposing team by grabbing his marbles.

edited August 31, 2022 10:49AM

And the remix.

And then when Baker won the Heisman, they gave him his own custom trophy.

And then there was the flag planting incident, when Oklahoma beat Ohio State, Baker grabbed the Oklahoma flag and planted it on the Ohio State logo, forgetting that the field is artificial turf.

Like I said above, he's a good hype man. Let's see if he backs it up...

@thisistheshow said:
    Like I said above, he's a good hype man. Let's see if he backs it up...

I will give Baker credit, he's a lot more interesting than Sam Darnold, the most exciting thing he's done is a pathetic attempt at drawing the Panthers logo.

I almost hope we do lose, just to see what Baker Mayfield looks like, of course it will be hard to top this one, the man looks like he's been tapped for the lead role in the reboot of Uncle Buck.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

It all makes sense now, Baker is clearly still concussed from that takedown lol.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

It all makes sense now, Baker is clearly still concussed from that takedown lol.

this wasn't in the video, but after the arrest one of the cops said something to the effect of, "isn't this the QB of OU? dude is SLOW." 😂

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    And the remix.

Is he packing steelies?

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

Oh this is unbelievable, now Baker Mayfield is trying to deny that he he said it. NFL Network analyst Cynthia Frelund already spilled the beans, I think Baker knows he might have stepped in it and he's trying to deny that he said it.

Panthers’ Mayfield denies using malicious words vs Browns

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Baker Mayfield went to his denial play call.

Carolina’s starting quarterback said that he never said anything malicious about the Cleveland Browns, who traded him to the Panthers this summer.

“First, I didn’t say that,” Mayfield said following Wednesday’s practice. “Everybody is going to write what they want (because) there is history there the last four years.”

NFL Network analytics analyst Cynthia Frelund, who was working as a Buffalo Bills sideline reporter for Friday night’s preseason game against Carolina, said on a podcast that Mayfield had some choice words for his former team following the game.

Frelund said Mayfield said “I’m going to (expletive) them up, ” when talking about Panthers’ Sept. 11 season opener against the Browns while a guest on the “Around the NFL” podcast with Dan Hanzus, Marc Sessler and Gregg Rosenthal.

“I walked up to him and said, ‘I’m so excited to see you, like, go kick some butt,’ I didn’t say that word,” Frelund said with a laugh in the podcast. “... Go kick some butt, especially Week 1, I like cannot wait. And he uses some expletives and I was like, ‘I just hope you’re like ready.’ He was like, ’I’m gonna bleep them up.”

Mayfield said he was shocked to hear about the report on Tuesday.

“If I wasn’t wanting to win then there would be a really big issue of me being the quarterback here,” Mayfield said. “I want to win at everything I do and that will never change. That is not how I phrased it, that is not even what I said, so we will leave it at that.”

Mayfield said he did have a conversation after the game with Frelund, but said “All I did was agree — I hope we win. It’s pretty plain and simple. ... I don’t think it should be harped on.”

Mayfield said it has become a big story because “I haven’t given the media what they wanted me to give them this offseason, so this is what they think that I’ve said, and it’s not.”

Frelund told The Associated Press on Tuesday that she should not have disclosed what was a private conversation on a podcast.

She said she was trying to be supportive of Mayfield and defend him.

The Browns traded Mayfield to the Panthers on July 6 after acquiring Deshaun Watson in a deal with the Houston Texans,

Cleveland agreed to pay $10.5 million of Mayfield’s scheduled $18.8 million contract. The Panthers will pay him $4.8 million this year, while Mayfield took a pay cut for the remaining portion of the contract to help facilitate the trade and get out of Cleveland.

Since being traded to Carolina, Mayfield has been careful in choosing his words in news conference settings when talking about the Browns.

He has said the game will mean a little extra to him, but nothing inflammatory.

“I have taken this approach this offseason to go about my business and let people say what they want and just control what I can,” Mayfield said. “I have always had fun playing football and that’s never going to change. I’m passionate about it and nobody can take that away from me. But off the field I have learned to keep it to the minimum and keep it within house and just talk to our guys and our people — that’s what matters.”

Cleveland’s All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett said Tuesday the Browns will use the comments as “motivation” and “fuel” for the game.

Garrett said he’s not surprised that his former teammate would say something to fire himself up.

“I know he has that swagger, that confidence that borders on arrogance in some people’s eyes,” Garrett said. “But he’s always played with a chip on his shoulder, and I think we have as an organization as well. So however he feels or goes about it in his mind scape to prepare for the game to play us at the highest level for him, it’s whatever.”

After spending one season with Mayfield, Browns cornerback Greg Newsome II is fully aware of the QB’s trash-talking abilities.

And like Garrett, Newsome said the Browns will use Mayfield’s comments for motivation.

“You try to find anything that can give you an edge,” Newsome said. “So something like that being said, whether he phrased it like that or not, we can just use that for our benefit and go out there and just try and get a win Week 1.”

I was just looking at the schedule, and I'm a little disappointed. This Mayfield mojo did he or didn't he say it controversy actually makes me want to watch this game. But it is in the early slot, and the Pats play at the same time. So I'll be watching them. However... I am expecting a lot of juicy insight from @doubledragon

hold on So apparently the person who reported this is now saying that they are the ones who said it, and Baker just agreed with them. As in "uh huh" or whatever. That does not equal him saying it. Oh, Baker, always caught up in something. Either way, this just makes this much more appealing of a game. I would like to see Baker play well and gave the Panthers make the playoffs.

@thisistheshow said:
    I was just looking at the schedule, and I'm a little disappointed. This Mayfield mojo did he or didn't he say it controversy actually makes me want to watch this game. But it is in the early slot, and the Pats play at the same time. So I'll be watching them. However... I am expecting a lot of juicy insight from @doubledragon

Yes indeed, I will be glued to this game, I will give reports on the official NFL thread, I can't wait for this, it's my Super Bowl, it's going to be bigger than Woodstock!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with Baker saying it AND still rooting for the Browns to win just so I can see Baker at the mic post game lol

Again no offense DD!! 😊