Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old ANACS paper cert at LCS

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that this is not that interesting necessarily, but I've been stopping in here frequently for years and I've never seen anything similar at this store. I will say that he has some unexpected items often which I enjoy. Anyway...

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure the coin matches the pics on the certificate. Compare the pics with the coin under high magnification. I had a dealer try to sell me a gold coin with an ANACS certificate and the coin didn't go with that certificate. This happened in the early 1980's before there were any slabs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Make sure the coin matches the pics on the certificate. Compare the pics with the coin under high magnification. I had a dealer try to sell me a gold coin with an ANACS certificate and the coin didn't go with that certificate. This happened in the early 1980's before there were any slabs.

I'm not buying it, but thank you for the advice. I was just sharing it here. Like I said, I know it's not an amazing item, but I was surprised to see it in this store. I know the owner well. He was not there today, and his son did not know where his Dad got this item.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting holder and a key date for sure. I'm adding the expert, @86Saab, but it looks like an old Type 3 to me:

Tim

• Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the shout out @pointfivezero ! Yup it's a Type 3. I know you're not buying it @thisistheshow but if you ever plan to buy one in the future @PerryHall is absolutely correct to check with magnification and make sure the coin matches the cert.

• Options

@86Saab said:
    Thanks for the shout out @pointfivezero ! Yup it's a Type 3. I know you're not buying it @thisistheshow but if you ever plan to buy one in the future @PerryHall is absolutely correct to check with magnification and make sure the coin matches the cert.

Just for conversation, since I'm not buying and I have never delved into these waters, how is he on price? He has it at $550, but like I said he was not in the shop today.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, our pictures were good enough that you could match the coin to the certificate. All you needed was your regular magnifying glass.

I'm a wee bit surprised that the submitter did not request a grade on this one. By this time almost everything going through was getting graded, except for foreign and ancient coins, of course.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

The price doesn't seem out of line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file