Home Sports Talk
Options

SF 49RS keep Jimmy G and..........................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

............... the local sports media is now even more crazy over the top because of it.

Since the 49rs lost the NFC title game to the Rams to finish their 2021 season local sports media has had steady coverage of Jimmy G news.

Until yesterday the tenor of the media blather was that there is no way that the 49rs would keep Jimmy G on the team's roster for the 2022 season [for many reasons, some which make sense (i.e. financial; and what impact having Jimmy G as the #2 QB behind Trey Lance would have on Lance) and some that do not sense (i.e. Jimmy G is such a horrible QB that he should be out of the league)]. Many of those who participate in local sports media were very vocal in their point of view that Jimmy G needs to be immediately sent elsewhere by the 49rs.

Yesterday it was announced the Jimmy G and the 49rs agreed to a restructuring of his contract and to have him be on the 49rs roster for the 2022 season.

The tenor of the media blather since the restructuring of the contract was announced yesterday has quickly changed.

Many of those who were vocal and strident in their desire to see the 49rs send Jimmy G elsewhere are now opining that it is a great move by the 49rs to keep Jimmy G as a backup, #2 QB (because of concerns that Trey Lance will get injured early in the season and be unable to play; and/or because of concerns that Trey Lance will be [or already is] a bust who will never be able to be an effective starting QB).

My thought is that why fret over this (on 8-30-2022, almost 2 weeks before game #1 of the regular season), just wait until regular season games start make your QB assessment after watching some regular season games.

NFL QB drama is the male equivalent of "The Housewives Of Beverly HIlls" reality TV Series.

Both of them are ratings bonanzas and both of them have loyal followers whose day is not complete without the "latest update".

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quarterback drama is a tasty treat indeed, I'm looking forward to watching Aaron Rodgers try to win games without his star receiver.

• Options

And if Rodgers does make the playoffs, he'll undoubtedly lay another playoff egg, and he won't be able to wash the stink off fast enough!

• Options

And Rodgers watched the Super Bowl sitting on his couch, in front of the TV, and threatened retirement, and lived unhappily ever after.........the end.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious to know if any of you feel as though this was a bad move because of the possible repercussions with Lance's psyche. Is that even an issue here? Should the Niners have taken that into consideration and just cut their losses with Jimmy G so as to not risk exacerbating a QB drama issue if Lance plays poorly to start the season?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm curious to know if any of you feel as though this was a bad move because of the possible repercussions with Lance's psyche. Is that even an issue here? Should the Niners have taken that into consideration and just cut their losses with Jimmy G so as to not risk exacerbating a QB drama issue if Lance plays poorly to start the season?

I think if anything it makes Lance more confident that they wanted him as their guy,

Jimmy G took the payout snd got no offers fir his services really, if there was a lucrative market fir him I think San Fran would have exploited that

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scored 4 TDS for Polk High!

@doubledragon said:
    And Rodgers watched the Super Bowl sitting on his couch, in front of the TV, and threatened retirement, and lived unhappily ever after.........the end.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    Scored 4 TDS for Polk High!

@doubledragon said:

4 TDs for Polk High in one game

@hydrant Did you know that Terry Bradshaw had an appearance on this show. I had forgotten. It's pretty early in the clip I linked. Please tell us that you somehow have a good story that fits in here... 🤷🏈😂😎

https://youtu.be/DikpddPf79g

• Options

Well, I for one am looking forward to watching Trey Lance takeover the starting job, let's face it, Jimmy G is not exactly the most exciting quarterback to watch.

• Options

thisistheshow

I have no idea what is going on with the 49rs. There are a wide range of possible trains of thought/reasoning as to why Jimmy G and the 49rs restructured his contract to keep him on the 2022 roster.

Each one has its own possible upside and downside (which will only be revealed during the regular season), including having Trey Lance constantly looking over his shoulder after every play he makes (that does not turn out well) to see if he is going to be replaced with Jimmy G.

One thing discussed this afternoon on local sports talk radio is that the restructuring is a compromise between Jimmy G and the 49rs that will possibly help them both as the 2022 season opens up and gets rolling.

Jimmy G is insured a roster spot and a paycheck this season, plus a chance to play and show he has recovered from his shoulder surgery and is healthy.

The 49rs can retain control of Jimmy G at a lower cost and if a QB on another team goes out with an injury the 49rs could stand a better chance of trading Jimmy G to another team in need of a veteran QB to take over for the injured player (with the 49rs actually receiving a draft pick or two in return for trading Jimmy G). Jimmy G has a no trade clause in the restructured agreement that allows him control over what team he is traded to.

• Options

P.S.

The photo of Aaron Rogers lounging in the bath tub is eerily (and creepily) similar to another photo of a person with the initials "HB" also lounging in a bath tub. :s

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    thisistheshow

I have no idea what is going on with the 49rs. There are a wide range of possible trains of thought/reasoning as to why Jimmy G and the 49rs restructured his contract to keep him on the 2022 roster.

Each one has its own possible upside and downside (which will only be revealed during the regular season), including having Trey Lance constantly looking over his shoulder after every play he makes (that does not turn out well) to see if he is going to be replaced with Jimmy G.

One thing discussed this afternoon on local sports talk radio is that the restructuring is a compromise between Jimmy G and the 49rs that will possibly help them both as the 2022 season opens up and gets rolling.

Jimmy G is insured a roster spot and a paycheck this season, plus a chance to play and show he has recovered from his shoulder surgery and is healthy.

The 49rs can retain control of Jimmy G at a lower cost and if a QB on another team goes out with an injury the 49rs could stand a better chance of trading Jimmy G to another team in need of a veteran QB to take over for the injured player (with the 49rs actually receiving a draft pick or two in return for trading Jimmy G). Jimmy G has a no trade clause in the restructured agreement that allows him control over what team he is traded to.

Yes, that is the Hunter photo with Aaron's face on top. 🤮

Best case scenario for the 49ers is a team that likes their chances this year loses their starter and is willing to pay up for Garoppolo, or even better if there is a bidding war with two starters going down the same week.

Worst case scenario includes ruining your young QBs confidence permanently.

• Options

Look, I need to use this meme or it will go to waste, I can't stand wasting things, I still have a can of green beans in my kitchen cabinet that expired 6 months ago, I just can't let go of them!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping Jimmy as their backup while getting him to lower his salary from 24M to 7M for one season is a pretty good move,IMO. You gotta think that Lance has been getting the majority of first team training camp snaps so he knows that the 49ers have been preparing him to be their guy so keeping JG around shouldn't get into his head. How he does as the starter remains to be seen but at least SF will have a solid backup plan in place now.
    I also read that they gave Jimmy a no trade clause for this season so if they do decide to move him he at least gets a say in where he goes.

• Options

I expect "49r QB Controvesy" will be the topic on the local media outlets tomorrow.

Probably more than a few persons will opine that Jimmy G needs to start game #2.

• Options

That was quick.

Jimmy G back as starting QB for the 49rs as Ttey Lance is out for the season with a broken ankle.

• Options

Wow poor Lance, that sucks

• Options

Jimmy G Bombs has to be pissed he took a pay cut now lol

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

man, that ankle looked bad.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.