Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A quest for image references...weak and partial lettering on small dollar edges...

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found a few nice weak and partial edge lettering while searching small dollars.

Considering that PCGS does grade them...I can't even find any reference images to these edge errors anywhere on PCGS.

Doing a Google image search (and other image searches) I find a grand total of about 5 ok images of weak and partial edge lettering. But that still doesn't help me confirm if it's legit for grading...not that I necessarily want to grade THIS coin but I'd like to verify things.

The small dollars with weak and or partial edge lettering tend to go off the rim at an angle, like a partially engaged collar strike I'd assume.
The weak edge lettering is very thin compared to the much thicker intended lettering.
The partial edge lettering is just that. The characters didn't get fully struck into the edge.

Here's my most recent find that I believe to be both weak and partial edge lettering.
Anyone have any great image references to indicate what weak and partial lettering for sure looks like?

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options

....Bueller?

No one knows anything eh?!
    Or maybe no one cares lol?

Anyway...found a bit of an image reference...on NGC.
    That's what ya get when no one responds in a PCGS forum lol!

From NGC... https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/989/James-Monroe-Dollar-Coin/

And here's one comparing weak and normal lettering...though I consider weak lettering to be even weaker than this...but who knows for sure without sending a coin for grading...sure would be nice to know lol!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

I guess the lack of interest in edge errors is quite clearly being reflected via the total lack of interest in small dollar errors on Great Collections at the moment too lol.

Coins are Neato!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file