Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How is this a PSA 10?

Do we not even look at centering anymore?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/385088638249

Comments

• Options

@secretstash said:
    It is a 4 Sharp Corners PSA 10. All of their 10's look like our submitted 7-8's. They have preferential treatment 100%.

Is that true? I've bought a fair bit from 4Sharp but haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary. Aren't most of their cards they sell from other people through consignment?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@secretstash said:
    It is a 4 Sharp Corners PSA 10. All of their 10's look like our submitted 7-8's. They have preferential treatment 100%.

Is that true? I've bought a fair bit from 4Sharp but haven't noticed anything too out of the ordinary. Aren't most of their cards they sell from other people through consignment?

No. It's not true. It's just if you were to submit 100 cards that would be 9s 85% of the time and 10s 15% of the time, you'll get 15 10s. If 4SC submits 10,000 of those borderline cards they'll end up with 1500 10s so they'll be able to sell a lot of weak (or weak-ish) 10s where the rest of us just can't submit that kind of volume so we'll only submit a few. 4SC has plenty of strong 10s and a few weak 10s. It's just that it's easy to collect all their weak 10s and convince yourself that there is something going on. There isn't. PSA's name is too valuable to let certain submitters have preferable grades on purpose.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

if I had the cash right now, I'd do it... :)

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2022 9:49AM

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@secretstash said:

No. It's not true. It's just if you were to submit 100 cards that would be 9s 85% of the time and 10s 15% of the time, you'll get 15 10s. If 4SC submits 10,000 of those borderline cards they'll end up with 1500 10s so they'll be able to sell a lot of weak (or weak-ish) 10s where the rest of us just can't submit that kind of volume so we'll only submit a few. 4SC has plenty of strong 10s and a few weak 10s. It's just that it's easy to collect all their weak 10s and convince yourself that there is something going on. There isn't. PSA's name is too valuable to let certain submitters have preferable grades on purpose.

Please tell me you are not one of the trust-the-science blindly guys...It would appear from your trust in PSA when they are the ones printing the money in the industry, that may actually be the case.

I don't mind if you don't consider what they get as preferential treatment, but grading is definitely not protected from fraud just because PSA is the trusted leader. That same leader holdered a trimmed card as their very first one (Wagner) and they have holdered thousands more in recent years with the scandals that the hobby had to teach them about. Please do not overlook that regular people taught the experts and stop trusting them so much when you have a mind and logic...they do not deserve carte blanche.

If I were betting, I expect 4SC to land the first PSA 10 for the 1981 Topps Fernando Valenzuela #302 RC. If anyone can send PSA enough volume to do it, they can. LOOOOL!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@secretstash said:

Please tell me you are not one of the trust-the-science blindly guys...It would appear from your trust in PSA when they are the ones printing the money in the industry, that may actually be the case.

I don't mind if you don't consider what they get as preferential treatment, but grading is definitely not protected from fraud just because PSA is the trusted leader. That same leader holdered a trimmed card as their very first one (Wagner) and they have holdered thousands more in recent years with the scandals that the hobby had to teach them about. Please do not overlook that regular people taught the experts and stop trusting them so much when you have a mind and logic...they do not deserve carte blanche.

If I were betting, I expect 4SC to land the first PSA 10 for the 1981 Topps Fernando Valenzuela #302 RC. If anyone can send PSA enough volume to do it, they can. LOOOOL!

I trust the science, but not the experts.

In this case, I trust PSA to act in its own interest, which is to be as reliable as possible so that they remain credible. I prefer to think of Wagner as a political situation and the "thousands" more as errors they make when handling how many millions of cards. Further, I think that has caused them to kick back many, many perfectly legit cards as N6.

I'd bet so, too, or at least some extremely high volume submitter who attempts to submit only highest graded cards. If 4SC submits, say, 100 Scioscia rookies every day, all of which are 7 or better quality, it is likely that one will be a 10 after how many weeks or months it takes. Rather than say anything nefarious is going on, say rather if that card exists as a 10, 4SC or its brethren are likely to find it.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ironic part here is that most of the cards and items 4SC lists these days are sent to them via their consignment service so it's more than likely this particular card was not even submitted by 4SC in the first place.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

PSA is caught up in varying standards currently. They grade all cards upon modern standards and hammer we older collectors. It's all about the money and money only. Big submitters MOST DEFINITELY get preferential treatment. Forget all of us who kept the company afloat in the good old days. We trusted that all would remain legit. LOL You can't complain on this board without being banned.