Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Time for a new registry set feature...

Probably like you guys, I have several coins in my registry set that have no displayed PCGS value. In most cases these are varieties or derivatives or just new coins so the lack of guide value is understandable. While the price guide values are not completely reliable, it does help give me a nice ballpark figure for what I've got and I find it useful, and it's also notable when the number goes up or down. I would really like to fill in all of the blanks to get a more realistic collection value estimate.

I know we can populate a value of our own choosing, but I don't want to do that because eventually the number will get stale and I'll probably not realize that it's my value vs. an guide value. Also, I won't realize that the price guide has a value available if it's stuffed with my own number.

So what if we ask for a feature where we can populate a number but tick a box that allows the number to be overridden with the guide value if/when it updates? Or am I the only one who would find that useful?

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. In my modern sets I have dozens of coins with no values.

Some are coins like my Ike dollar PR70DCAMs with David Hall signed labels. I asked them to put in the value for the regular label as it was better than zero, but apparently that is not easy to do.

Your approach has merit, but things sure take a long time to revise.

• Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 9:58AM

@Goldminers said:

Some are coins like my Ike dollar PR70DCAMs with David Hall signed labels. I asked them to put in the value for the regular label as it was better than zero, but apparently that is not easy to do.

The excuse I am given is because of the Label...

PCGS claims it is difficult to set a value on a coin with a Special Label b/c so few of them get sold

I've always said - value the COIN - NOT the Label

And the worst is PCGS's own FDOI and FS Labels

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 10:07AM

@JonJet said:

@Goldminers said:

The excuse I am given is because of the Label...

PCGS claims it is difficult to set a value on a coin with a Special Label b/c so few of them get sold

I've always said - value the COIN - NOT the Label

Yeah, it's good in theory and as a rule. But look at the 2008-W $50 Gold Buffalo PR70DCAM. Worth almost twice as much because of FS.
    Price on ebay show that the guide prices are realistic for this. The label makes a HUGE difference, which conceptually I don't understand but clearly the market feels differently than me.

So while I don't agree with it, if I do own a FS Gold Buffalo I do want the price guide to differentiate and value it accurately.

• Options

Not a lot of support/demand for this feature I guess. :(

• Options

@Goldminers said:

I spoke at length with the Price Guide Guru...advising that My insurance carrier had noticed quite a number of coins they insure with no values

The response: We've never heard of an insurance company that requires a value - You'd give that

Gee...maybe I should start buying $500 used cars...insure them for $1Million and leave them parked with motor running and the doors unlocked

• Options

@JonJet said:

@Goldminers said:

I spoke at length with the Price Guide Guru...advising that My insurance carrier had noticed quite a number of coins they insure with no values

The response: We've never heard of an insurance company that requires a value - You'd give that

Gee...maybe I should start buying $500 used cars...insure them for $1Million and leave them parked with motor running and the doors unlocked

I suppose the true value doesn't matter until you file the claim. Then they'll care and it'll be on you to substantiate your claim. Reminds me of the Married with Children episode where his car gets stolen and he claims the Mona Lisa was in the trunk.

• Options

Egg-Zac-Ta-Mundo

Which is why I asked for the value - everyone knows it's certainly not Zero

So in the end - I'd get Zero