Home Q & A Forum
Options

(Dibits) on a coin

AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what these are,I can't post a picture, they are like a real small ( bite mark)(sprocket)and just to or 3 in row,I've seen the same marks on different coins,

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't be certain without pics, but it sounds like contact marks from being hit by the edge of a reeded coin

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Can't be certain without pics, but it sounds like contact marks from being hit by the edge of a reeded coin

Thanks,I guess they can hit pretty hard then,makes sense tho,I guessing the coin is at a hotter temp and softer ,I can see it,mystery solved

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abehunter said:

@Oldhoopster said:

Thanks,I guess they can hit pretty hard then,makes sense tho,I guessing the coin is at a hotter temp and softer ,I can see it,mystery solved

Striking coins only builds up a very small amount of frictional heat. Nothing anywhere close to the melting points of metal. The marks are caused by simple physics (F = ma) and metallurgy (metal deformation)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@Abehunter said:

@Oldhoopster said:

Striking coins only builds up a very small amount of frictional heat. Nothing anywhere close to the melting points of metal. The marks are caused by simple physics (F = ma) and metallurgy (metal deformation)

I'm guessing that doesn't help the grade of a coin or is that overlooked?